• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should I have been honest about my conviction?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keep your gob shut simples

Comment

Personally I would look for another job outside the SC area so I would never have to disclose it and resign while keeping my mouth shut.
      Yeah tbh this is my backup plan if I do fail the SC renewal. However I've been looking at other industries and I'm finding it hard to relate my role to anything outside of my industry which is why I'm a bit worried about it. Il send an anonymous email but I guess in the meantime il stay quiet until it comes time to renewing my clearance. If it comes up on the form to disclose spent convictions then I'll go ahead and list it and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincepie View Post
        keep your gob shut simples
        Terrific advice, thanks......
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Terrific advice, thanks......
          I don't *think* he was calling you simples....
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

One of the reasons that people tend to fail getting clearance is the fact that they don't come clean about things - because if you aren't prepared to tell your employer about it then that potentially means that you are a blackmail target.

The fact that you hid the conviction may imply to anyone doing an SC check that this is something that you are embarrassed about, and wouldn't want getting out into the open with your employer (essentially, what you have done) - and that could well set the alarm bells ringing with the security office when you come to renew.

Good luck with the job hunt.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Depends on the renewal process, if you are asked have your circumstances changed then say yes
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Depends on the renewal process, if you are asked have your circumstances changed then say yes
                Yeah tbh this is my backup plan if I do fail the SC renewal. However I've been looking at other industries and I'm finding it hard to relate my role to anything outside of my industry which is why I'm a bit worried about it. Il send an anonymous email but I guess in the meantime il stay quiet until it comes time to renewing my clearance. If it comes up on the form to disclose spent convictions then I'll go ahead and list it and see what happens.
                I'm not convinced this is the best route of action anymore. The paragraph I quote shows there is some responsibility to keep them up to date with changes in circumstances which specifically mentions convictions. I think the OP is going to have to ask his HR and/or clearance people for clear guidance on this. It is possible he is obliged to mention this new conviction where he isn't for a normal job. By keeping schtum he's failing in his obligation. He may not get sacked for revealing his conviction has it's not a dishonest type crime but he certainly will get the boot when he's purposely dodged his obligation.

He might not get sacked for the offence but he most certainly will do for not declaring it if he was supposed to.

Comment

Id just put it on the form and forget about it.

No "boss" worth their title is gonna be mithered about an employee getting pinched for a gram of cyril whilst out on the town, unless its working with kids or vulnerable folks?

Comment

Would the employer be informed on the reasons why SC is not given? I would have thought not. There are all sorts of reasons to fail it, none of which are sackable.

Just check that the process isn't seen by the employer and consult a lawyer.

If you fail SC just shrug your shoulders, you don't need to do anymore I don't think.

Generally the advice stands from the lawyer that you are not necessarily obliged to to tell them about convictions.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by OnceStonedRose View Post
                      Id just put it on the form and forget about it.

No "boss" worth their title is gonna be mithered about an employee getting pinched for a gram of cyril whilst out on the town, unless its working with kids or vulnerable folks?
                      Or for key posts in defence or the nuclear industry? It's also not up to the boss, it will be down to HR policy... That is really poor advice.

Comment

Working...
                      X