• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Caunce O'Hara vs QDOS comparison?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caunce O'Hara vs QDOS comparison?

Hi Guys

I am comparing the QDOS offering with Caunce O'Hara (COH) insurance policies, and I find QDOS one to be much more economical.
    I have sent a query to both to check on this... but obviously their comments will be biased on their favour.

My finding is particular to the Professional Indemnity insurance.
    COH costs me 720 / year while QDOS one comes at 192/year.
    The coverage is exactly same (2 million).

Have any of you tried the comparison, and found out why COH may be costly than the QDOS one?... am I missing some goodies in their costly policy vs. QDOS?
    Reading the paperwork, they both seem to be same in terms of the features of the policy.

Cheers.

Hi milkyway, what exact cover levels do you need? It's likely the QDos offering doesn't include both Public Liability and Professional Indemnity (may just be the former).

The premium will typically be affected by cover levels, type of cover, your job role, and your income levels - have any of these changed since you originally bought with Caunce?

Have you got a quote from Kingsbridge yet? For £1 million professional indemnity, £5 million public liability and £10 million employers' liability the typical cost is a little over £400.

Comment

When I run a comparison for a £2million Professional Indemnity quote, Caunce O''Hara comes in at £435, and QDOS comes in at £192.13 + £38.43 to cover past work.

I use Caunce O'Hara for their business combined policy (employers liability, public liability, asset cover), but I use QDOS for Professional Indemnity for this very reason.

Does that £720 include the business combined, and / or another policy ?
      Last edited by FarmerPalmer; 29 February 2016, 14:59.

Comment

I swapped COH for QDOS 3 years ago because QDOS were much cheaper as confirmed in the posts above. COH offered me some reduction when I said I was leaving them, but it came no where near the cost of QDOS. If you google QDOS redution you will find on line codes for an additional 10% or so off

Comment

The way I tried it is by removing everything from the quotation screen, and just include the Professional Indemnity insurance policy for 2 million.
          Selected the income to 100001 - 150000, and set the profession to IT contracting/developer whatever they showed there.

Out came the quotation for just the Professional Indemnity Insurance, costing: 720 (including premium tax).

Did the same thing (level of incomes, profession, etc) with QDOS, set the policy cover to 2 Million, and the quote was 192

Comment

The excess for QDOS is higher. Otherwise the policies are the same.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I had to take out COH cover as they covered a particular industry that QDOS didn't.

Comment

Working...
              X