• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company "Re-structure" mid gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company "Re-structure" mid gig

The place I am at currently has just announced a "restructure" to make sure they are more "agile" (*yawn*)....

I have been here 2 month, 4 month left, and too be fair I'm not contributing all that much at present as the code base is monstrous and will take a fair bit to get productive in any true fashion.

Would you start looking for a new gig?

In my mind, if I was the management at client company, I'd be clearing out contractors before binning off permies as part of any "agilement" they will be planning in darkened rooms huddled over a structure chart on a shared laptop.

Cheers

Seems prudent.

I guess it really depends on the ratio of perm to contract and how quickly they actually move. Where I am right now they're stating the balance is wrong and they want more perm staff than contract which is manifesting as not renewing contracts of people that have been on for ten years or so. They're not putting out perm job requisitions so I think it will be a long process and not something I'm worried about given I have 2-1/2 months left.

Comment

No because I'll find something and then have to make a tough decision.
      IMO it will take them quite awhile to decide the new structure and implement so should the worst come to the worst you'll have plenty of time to prepare not forgetting your notice period.

If you can't see that you are the frame for the chop you are not close enough to the business and need to step up.

If it's a thinly disguised question around you not liking the gig and wanting to leave then it's up to you.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        No because I'll find something and then have to make a tough decision.
        This has crossed my small mind also. (assuming you meant me finding summot and not you)
        If you can't see that you are the frame for the chop you are not close enough to the business and need to step up.
        Not quite sure I'm understanding this point.

If it's a thinly disguised question around you not liking the gig and wanting to leave then it's up to you.
        That is possibly the most unbelievably perceptive thing I've ever witnessed because now I'm wondering if this is the case..... Impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by OnceStonedRose View Post
          This has crossed my small mind also. (assuming you meant me finding summot and not you)
          Well both I guess but it's not tough decision for me if you get something

Not quite sure I'm understanding this point.
          Are you a grunt on site that doesn't see beyond the piece of work on their screen so any changes come out of left field and smack you between the eyes or do you work closely enough with your client that you are privvy to a certain level of decision making that gives you a heads up of changes or even input in the change process itself. If the latter you should have plenty of notice of what is going to happen to you.
          That is possibly the most unbelievably perceptive thing I've ever witnessed because now I'm wondering if this is the case..... Impressed.
          Well thank you but it's seemed pretty obvious the way you wrote it. Org change is one thing. Commenting on what you are actually doing is another so lead me to believe it's not just about the change.

Comment

Weather the storm, assess the changes, see if you get an extension. Could be the case that your deliverables change, in which case get them reflected in the state of work.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Not all change is bad you know...

Comment

Originally posted by OnceStonedRose View Post
                The place I am at currently has just announced a "restructure" to make sure they are more "agile" (*yawn*)....

I have been here 2 month, 4 month left, and too be fair I'm not contributing all that much at present as the code base is monstrous and will take a fair bit to get productive in any true fashion.

Would you start looking for a new gig?

In my mind, if I was the management at client company, I'd be clearing out contractors before binning off permies as part of any "agilement" they will be planning in darkened rooms huddled over a structure chart on a shared laptop.

Cheers
                You have one of the things that many people does not have, gut feeling. You should trust your gut.
                If you have a gut feeling that something is going wrong, it's time to evaluate in order to make a decision in the future.

You are on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                  You have one of the things that many people does not have, gut feeling. You should trust your gut.
                  If you have a gut feeling that something is going wrong, it's time to evaluate in order to make a decision in the future.

You are on track.
                  But his gut feeling is he doesn't like the gig. That's different.

Comment

Are you a grunt on site.....
                    Yep...... I'm only a hired software developer contractor so don't see why dev manager would confide in me about roadmap and restructure plans etc...

He has his own crew of seniors and architects and team leads for that, do everyone elses gigs always entail this sort if "pallyness"?

Comment

Working...
                    X