• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The old last moment bodyswerve

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The old last moment bodyswerve

Chaps and chapesses, I am sure you have had the situation before where you do an interview, it goes fine and an offer seems likely. Then you get a call from the agent saying they want you, but would like to work for 10% less. Less than the rate that was agreed before you did the interview.

You probably stuck to your guns and were later offered the full amount. Or perhaps you accepted the lower. But what I am interested in is - was it reflected in the rest of the contact. Did the client turn out to be as poor as their initial flakey behaviour indicated ?

It happened to me one time. I stuck to my guns and held on for the full amount. During the contract the hiring manager commented that I was swallowing up all the profit. And after 3 months they didn't renew, but I left on good terms.

I don't understand this at all. What has the rate negotiation got to do with flakey the client is? That negotiation is between you and the agent so no reflection on the client in many cases.

I'm not sure how any rate reflects a clients 'flakiness' whatever that means.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post

It happened to me one time. I stuck to my guns and held on for the full amount. During the contract the hiring manager commented that I was swallowing up all the profit. And after 3 months they didn't renew, but I left on good terms.
      Client hiring manager? Why is the client hiring manager talking to you about a contract between you and the agent?

Or is the Client hiring manager on a percentage?

Comment

I didn't have that happen exactly. In my case it was one rate and then the gig fell through and a different one came up with the same agency and the rate was fifty quid lower. I had nothing else waiting in the wings and was a bit anxious so I took it anyway and didn't try to play hard. The client really had nothing to do with it that I could see, just the agency chancing it. In fact the client is paying nearly double what I'm getting (I think they told me that themselves).

So if this comes up for renewal I'll try getting something else lined up and go for a rate rise negotiation safe in the knowledge that the client isn't going to be an issue here.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
          Client hiring manager? Why is the client hiring manager talking to you about a contract between you and the agent?

Or is the Client hiring manager on a percentage?
          Yes, I thought he was daft too. But he said it.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I don't understand this at all. What has the rate negotiation got to do with flakey the client is? That negotiation is between you and the agent so no reflection on the client in many cases.

I'm not sure how any rate reflects a clients 'flakiness' whatever that means.
            The agent said: the client wants you, but they want you for 10% less (than previously agreed between you and the agent). Yes, it could either be the client being flaky or the agent dishonest. Who knows.

Comment

I'd blame the agent first, but with a smaller outfit I can believe the client trying it on as well.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                I didn't have that happen exactly. In my case it was one rate and then the gig fell through and a different one came up with the same agency and the rate was fifty quid lower. I had nothing else waiting in the wings and was a bit anxious so I took it anyway and didn't try to play hard. The client really had nothing to do with it that I could see, just the agency chancing it. In fact the client is paying nearly double what I'm getting (I think they told me that themselves)
                Well it if was really a different contract (even with the same client), then a rate difference is understandable.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                  I'd blame the agent first, but with a smaller outfit I can believe the client trying it on as well.
                  Yes it happened with a large client. I couldn't tell whether the agent or client was to blame, but the client manager's grumpy comments during the contract (to the affect I was overpaid) made me suspect the client.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                    Yes it happened with a large client. I couldn't tell whether the agent or client was to blame, but the client manager's grumpy comments during the contract (to the affect I was overpaid) made me suspect the client.
                    Seems odd, you'd think they'd have accepted that when they went to hire a contractor!

In regards to my own situation, yes I suppose, but when I have a call like: what's your rate and I give a modest figure like £350-400 and they say "okay" then come back a day later with a different gig and say "I know you said £350-400 before, but this one is £292," I get suspicious - especially when it's a funny number like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X