• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The old last moment bodyswerve

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. The client manager was an okay bloke, to give him his due, and he knew his technical onions too, he was just a bit grumpy by nature. Also it was smack in the middle of the recession.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
      Seems odd, you'd think they'd have accepted that when they went to hire a contractor!

In regards to my own situation, yes I suppose, but when I have a call like: what's your rate and I give a modest figure like £350-400 and they say "okay" then come back a day later with a different gig and say "I know you said £350-400 before, but this one is £292," I get suspicious - especially when it's a funny number like that.
      Had a strange rate like that myself (but far bigger) - it's just the way that certain rate cards work.

It's when you get a round number like £300 that you'll get fluffed over. I've been put in at £350, interviewed at £350 and asked to do the same gig for £250 before now. It was simply the client manager trying to see what he'd get for £350 and then being told by his manager that he can't have the extra.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
        The agent said: the client wants you, but they want you for 10% less (than previously agreed between you and the agent). Yes, it could either be the client being flaky or the agent dishonest. Who knows.
        And you believed that??
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          And you believed that??
          Shut up grumpy, it happens.

The agent typically lowballs you at the start if they're trying it on, although it happens less these days with the agencies more on flat fees/percentage cuts than having a budget for themselves from the client.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Shut up grumpy, it happens.

The agent typically lowballs you at the start if they're trying it on, although it happens less these days with the agencies more on flat fees/percentage cuts than having a budget for themselves from the client.
            And you believe that??

OP has made too many assumptions and then is trying to tar a client with those assumptions. Might be specific to one client but it's certainly not indicative and should be used to judge a client before you've even got there. My client will offer less if a contractor isn't worth it but we can used in a different role. It will be a different rate from the rate card though, not 10% which makes me highly suspicious.

Comment

Nearest experience I have

I was working in a small part of a very big name FS organisation. I interviewed a PM with a spot-on CV and I said "yes - let's take him".

Then I was told my boss didn't actually have the budget agreed.

Then I was told some one had gone back and offered him £100 or more a day less.

He'd lost a day's pay and come all the way from Cardiff to the East Midlands.

What would have happened if he had taken the lower rate? He would have been canned shortly afterwards. The place was shambolic and they ran out cash.
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                And you believed that??
                Did I say I believed it ? It was reported speech only.

You know I'd be only too happy to troll you into the middle of next week in General, NLUK, but as this is is Business/Contracts, try to keep it helpful, eh? I'd appreciate it if you would just leave the thread, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                  Did I say I believed it ? It was reported speech only.

You know I'd be only too happy to troll you into the middle of next week in General, NLUK, but as this is is Business/Contracts, try to keep it helpful, eh? I'd appreciate it if you would just leave the thread, to be honest.
                  But that paragraph is the root of the problem and why it's a bit of a poor thread. It's not trolling. You are starting with something that is contracting 101, the agent trying to up his comission. You are then trying to read in to it that the agent is dishonest or the client is flaky. It's just a ridiculous argument for a whole host of reasons and your perceived outcome is incorrect and will be inconsistent.

It just reads to me as a client/agent hating thread because you can't deal with fundamental part of contracting which is the negotiation.

Comment

Working...
                  X