• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What kind of clients are you more satisfied with?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Those who hire many contractors and where people in the office are pleasant and helpful to each other.

Telecoms companies tend to be like this in my experience. People always thank you for your work.
    True. As disorganised as C&W/Vodafone were, they were very good to work with on the managed service contract I was part of; especially when it was clear you were putting in the effort and not putting up barriers. The crew I'm with right now at CYB are good folks - mostly contractors, but helpful and sympathetic.

I've not worked in many bad environments thankfully. Hopefully that luck will hold!

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
      I'm new,
      Really. I'd have never guessed that reading your posts.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        I meant more along the lines of having competent management who understand how to use contractors and a clue about what they need them to actually do.
        Ohh hell yes. Sorry I get you now. Absolutely.

Comment

Ones that pay weekly, not weakly.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Hmmm payment seems to be an issue.. How often do you lot run into such problems?

Would it be unreasonable to ask for some sort of retainer or initial deposit?

Solicitors do this sort of thing all the time. So why not contractors?

Comment

Originally posted by DanielSQL View Post
              Hmmm payment seems to be an issue.. How often do you lot run into such problems?

While a nice idea, the problem is that if you were to ask for a retainer/deposit as terms of business the agencies/clients would laugh and just move onto the next candidate.

Have only seen 1 major payment issue (agency didn't pay final invoice until threats were made) in 8 years of contracting but a number of minor ones such as late payments which seemed to happen more frequently when either direct or with smaller agencies.

Comment

Firstly pay is the end goal of it all hence it being mentioned, maybe a bit tongue in cheek sometimes.

As to whether it's a problem depends on your attitude. Late payments happen all walks of life so if you see the odd couple of days late as part of the game and easily fixable then no it's not a problem. If the world falls out of your arse and you have to ask on here what to do everytime then yes it's a problem.
                Late payment happens from time to time. Real problems with payments not so often.

Also in many cases it's the agents that pay us not the client hence me thinking some of the comments are a bit tongue in cheek.

Maybe not unreasonable but it will never happen.

There are probably a number of reasons but it's just different.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 24 February 2016, 18:39.

Comment

Ones who know the difference between Contractors and Permanent Employees.

Comment

So there's quite a few tulips who hire contractors and because they feel that they don't need to pay them. Sadly it's not uncommon but on the bright side they're not that difficult to sniff out.

Comment

Late and non-payment problems are only real issues if you go direct or don't read your contract with an agency. Agencies tend to factor payments so you get paid before they do as long as you read your contract. In fact some larger clients insist on it, which means the agency gets screwed over if they go bust.

Solicitors and any professional that's regulated can only ask for deposits or retainers if they have a client bank account.

Builders do it mainly cos they need to get materials and they pay their subbies weekly. How you agree to pay your builder is a contract between you both e.g. mile stones met.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X