• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to IT contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to IT contracting

Hi

I am trying to get into contracting. I am hoping someone could please help with the following questions.

I am based in Manchester, and have 10yrs experience with the following Technologies.
    C#.net, ASP.net, HTML, CSS, JavaScript. Other skills include PhotoShop, JQuery, new to AngularJS.

Questions.
    What is the lowest and highest day rate I could expect from contracting with my skills?
    Are my skills in demand in the contracting industry?
    What are some of the challenges I could expect from working as a contractor.
    For instance a client not wanting to pay, Non disclosure agreements or any other problems you may have faced in the past.
    Which do you prefer umbrella or ltd? Ltd company seems to be less tax what is your experience with this?

Thanks for the help

www.google.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by KingSparky View Post
      Hi

I am trying to get into contracting. I am hoping someone could please help with the following questions.

I am based in Manchester, and have 10yrs experience with the following Technologies.
      C#.net, ASP.net, HTML, CSS, JavaScript. Other skills include PhotoShop, JQuery, new to AngularJS.

Questions.
      1/ What is the lowest and highest day rate I could expect from contracting with my skills?
      2/ Are my skills in demand in the contracting industry?
      3/ What are some of the challenges I could expect from working as a contractor.
      For instance a client not wanting to pay, Non disclosure agreements or any other problems you may have faced in the past.
      4/ Which do you prefer umbrella or ltd? Ltd company seems to be less tax what is your experience with this?

Thanks for the help
      1/ Have a look on Jobserve
      2/ Have a look on Jobserve
      3/ Challenges? Or risks? Risks includes long periods on the bench, having to work away from home, no effective notice period, no sick pay, no holiday pay, no redundancy, no stability, no paid-for training
      4/ Many of us started umbrella to see if the contracting lifestyle suited or because we were inside IR35 in our first contract; umbrella allows for an easier transition but if you aim to operate outside of IR35, then go limited company route.

Also, take a look at the First Timers link on the right-hand menu.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Good questions to start with. You'll go far.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I would suggest focusing on frontend development with Angular and React.
          You've already done some of it so continue this path. There seem to be a good market for this at the moment, and rates starting at £400/day easily.

Comment

What is the lowest and highest day rate I could expect from contracting with my skills?
            Varies by region and by how well you sell yourself. Too broad a question to answer TBH

Are my skills in demand in the contracting industry?
            They are very marketable skills so there are plenty of jobs out there, but again it depends on where you are and how many tech companies in your area, or, if you're prepared to travel for work and potentially stay away.
            My outlook is, if you're any good, you'll always find work.

What are some of the challenges I could expect from working as a contractor.
            Unless you do something wrong, I dont envisage clients not wanting to pay. Im not saying it doesn't happen, but it shouldn't be a widespread concern. Plus, if you go via an agency thats their problem as the agency will pay you (as that's who your contract will be with), as long as you dont opt out.

Which do you prefer umbrella or ltd? Ltd company seems to be less tax what is your experience with this?
            Depends on what you want. If you want it "easy" then pay for the convenience of Umbrella. if you want to maximise take income then go Limited and get a good accountant who will hold your hand, advise you and do a lot of work with/for you.

Comment

You could try looking at itjobswatch. Com for historical and geographical info against skills but just be aware it's a scrape of the boards so the rates can change between advertised and offered and there will be a good chunk of false roles that were put up for CV farming.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherGuy View Post
                I would suggest focusing on frontend development with Angular and React.
                You've already done some of it so continue this path. There seem to be a good market for this at the moment, and rates starting at £400/day easily.
                In the North West?
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Posters have raised just about everything on these boards.

A war chest will get around almost everything though.

Comment

Surely if your CV was searchable and skills in demand you'd have been contacted by enough agency people whilst permanent to have an idea of your day rate? That wasn't even on the list of questions I had before seriously looking for contract work.

Comment

Working...
                    X