• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renewal regret

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kookachoo View Post
    I'm gonna give you some different advice. It depends what field you're in of course. Are you staying away from home? This means they buy your entire time. I'm in a similar boat. Life is too short to be unhappy. If you have the funds to support yourself for an amount of time without working that is comfortable to you, then there is no harm in leaving.
    Eer no they don't! Slave labour was outlawed a while ago! They buy a professional working day from you that is all. I would say that its tough out there and so think carefully before leaving unless you have somewhere to go to.

Comment

I'm gonna give you some different advice. It depends what field you're in of course. Are you staying away from home? This means they buy your entire time. I'm in a similar boat. Life is too short to be unhappy. If you have the funds to support yourself for an amount of time without working that is comfortable to you, then there is no harm in leaving.
      Wouldn't still be up and running, if I had listened to this sort of cr@p. The point is you negotiate a deal to make it worth doing.
      Lets see if you are still doing this, after the recession
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
        Eer no they don't! Slave labour was outlawed a while ago! They buy a professional working day from you that is all. I would say that its tough out there and so think carefully before leaving unless you have somewhere to go to.
        It was a figure of speech: so your time sat in a hotel someplace away from home mightn't be considered your time if you hate being at home!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Wouldn't still be up and running, if I had listened to this sort of cr@p. The point is you negotiate a deal to make it worth doing.
          Lets see if you are still doing this, after the recession
          I guess I've been doing it wrong for 12 years then with enough in reserves and other business interests to allow me to not invoice for another three years. Sometimes it is more than about just money; and if the OP considers themselves a professional then you additionally have an obligation for your reputation and/or sanity as to whether or not you are adding true value for what you invoice.

Comment

I guess I've been doing it wrong for 12 years then with enough in reserves and other business interests to allow me to not invoice for another three years. Sometimes it is more than about just money; and if the OP considers themselves a professional then you additionally have an obligation for your reputation and/or sanity as to whether or not you are adding true value for what you invoice.
            The thing is I actually agreed with you personally, there's the rub.

More than 12 years, for me, I'm in a similar situation and never work away now, however the reserves etc. have been built up, by doing so in the past.
            I could go longer than 3 years, if I chose, no worries.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              It's a contract... not his entire life..... Sometimes you have to suck it up and see things through as well. Can't be taking the pussy route everytime.
              +1.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                It's a contract... not his entire life..... Sometimes you have to suck it up and see things through as well. Can't be taking the pussy route everytime.
                Pussy you say?

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                X