• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 weeks into contract - can I invoke notice of termination and not work the term?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 weeks into contract - can I invoke notice of termination and not work the term?

I'm two weeks into a 6 month contract which I'm not at all happy with and want to terminate (notice period is 1 month from me). As I want to be fully available for pursuing other contracts, am I legally able to give notice of termination to agency (whom my contract is with) but then not go on site/ invoice for the next 28 days? Has anyone ever done this and did it end well?

I would expect if you put your notice in after only doing 2 weeks your going to be removed from site anyway, obviously you need to inform the agent and also what you should do is approach the client and advised him of the reason you don't find the contract suitable and go through the issue see if it can be rescued.

Your going to burn your bridges with both the client and the agent but then these thing happen you gotta do what you gotta do

Comment

What's wrong with the contract?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You can do what ever you want, however doing what you have suggested could open you up to the agency pursuing a claim for loss of earnings for the month that you are not on site.

Two weeks is still early days, are you sure the contract is unworkable? Or do you have a better paid gig lined up and want to jump ship for that
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

You are obliged to work your notice period. Not a chance you'll see any of your money if you try a trick like this though. The agenct could sue you for loss of revenue as well as they won't be getting commission either. I'd think the client has grounds to sue if they so wanted.

Speak to your client and see if there is any way they'll let you go early cause youve virtually done f all so far. They maybe happy to get rid as soon as possible so as not to waste any more money on you so everyone is happy.

Either that or find a substitute to train up and replace you.

What is it about the gig you don't like? You can't be doing this very often before word gets around.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Win View Post
            I'm two weeks into a 6 month contract which I'm not at all happy with and want to terminate (notice period is 1 month from me). As I want to be fully available for pursuing other contracts, am I legally able to give notice of termination to agency (whom my contract is with) but then not go on site/ invoice for the next 28 days? Has anyone ever done this and did it end well?
            I walked from a contract after 5 days, was obvious what they presented at the interview was not reality. Just like they would walk you off the premisses if it was obvious you lied at the interview. Life's too short just walk and tell the agent your not coming back. Client will forget about you in a few weeks. The agent who was dealing with me for the client I walked has been on the phone all the time since then trying to get me into other roles.
            Last edited by Unix; 22 February 2016, 15:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
              I walked from a contract after 2 days, was obvious what they presented at the interview was not reality. Just like they would walk you off the premisses if it was obvious you lied at the interview. Life's too short just walk and tell the agent your not coming back. Client will forget about you in a few weeks. The agent who was dealing with me for the client I walked has been on the phone all the time since then trying to get me into other roles.
              Surely it's what was in the contract, not the interview that counts? Fraud and a changed statement of work are a little bit different.

P. S. OP.. This walk and tell client you are not coming back is awful advice. Well worth ignoring IMO.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Surely it's what was in the contract, not the interview that counts? Fraud and a changed statement of work are a little bit different.

P. S. OP.. This walk and tell client you are not coming back is awful advice. Well worth ignoring IMO.
                Didn't harm me, in fact I got a fantastic contract right after, all it did was burn the bridges at that client, and that's what I wanted to happen.

Comment

Problem is, we don't know what's wrong with the gig.

Is the work not as expected? Has that better offer from the other contract come through?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Speaking as an employer, I'd be pretty miffed if someone did this to me especially if I'd brought them in for a project which had time constraints and I'd certainly be looking at the agency to compensate me for inconvenience caused. IMHO if you are happy to sign a contract then you should stick to it - how would you like it if the agency/client terminated the contract 2 weeks in and didn't stick to the notice period?
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                    X