• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do ??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You only have one offer on the table, there is no choice to make
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

My thoughts on the 'f**k them as they gave you notice line'. I kinda maybe get this, I don't like it but I get it.... but... In this case the budget has run out and they've canned all the resources, not just the OP and they have come back and retained him despite the cuts. Anyone that's been in a position where their budget has been pulled, arguing to keep someone needs some pretty good justification. If I was the OP I'd take this as a bit of a sign they need him more than he may need them and try and exploit it. During the next 4 months can he make himself more invaluable to the client create the justification to keep him?

I'd say he's got an opportunity he could milk here rather than seeing red and just dumping them. Budget cuts are part of business, doesn't always mean it's time to go mercenary. There are still opportunities there.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        If I was the OP I'd take this as a bit of a sign they need him more than he may need them and try and exploit it.
        Your attitude is unprofessional. You signed a contract, you keep to it. You will give contractors a bad name....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Your attitude is unprofessional. You signed a contract, you keep to it. You will give contractors a bad name....
          I think he's more talking about further work. But I like your thinking
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Bit of selective reading going on?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If contract B is in the same location (as defined for the 24 month rule), then the 24 month thing doesn't come into play at all.

Also, OP hasn't said whether there are substantive T&S expenses at stake here.

Can you walk away? If your contract has a notice clause, of course. You agreed to a contract, you abide by it, but if the notice clause is in there you aren't breaking the contract by invoking it. And it may be they wouldn't even object that much if you did, given the story here.

Should you walk away? I wouldn't. When you shook hands and agreed to stay, you made an agreement.

Can you negotiate? Absolutely.

Seems like they can't afford you and they can't afford to lose you. So if you get the offer, tell them about it. And say, "I can help your budget problems some AND give you a hand. I'm willing to work from home for 12 hours on the weekend for the next four months. I can even talk to this new contract about, instead of working out my notice here, letting me come in one day a fortnight for the next four months." Something like that. This can be a win-win, where they save money but get enough of your services to help them out. And you have two clients at the same time, which is both lucrative and somewhat helpful as far as IR35 goes. And maybe it spins into a long-term part time retainer deal with them, if you are really lucky.

Are you a business or a temporary employee? If the former, then try to leverage the situation into a stronger and long term business relationship with at least one of your clients. And if your new client knows you have an on-going part time deal with another client, it gives you stronger leverage with them in any future negotiations.

Comment

Agree with above, your contracting career has to last decades and the new contract is only 6 months. You'll want to be able to go back at some point.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

I get the look after number 1 thing...but personally if I shook the guy's hand literally and looked him in the eyes and said yes I am committing to the next 4 months....then I am committed....

Comment

Working...
                  X