• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perm to Contractor - making the jump - job market query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    Oh don't be such a bureaucrat. you dont need to inform anyone of what you are doing, and 1 or 2 weeks won't make any difference for 99% of companies.

Anyway just a tip.
    Riiiiight, advising to screw a legally binding contract and wing it... Nice one

And you think he hasn't thought of this one already?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
      Oh don't be such a bureaucrat. you dont need to inform anyone of what you are doing, and 1 or 2 weeks won't make any difference for 99% of companies.

Anyway just a tip.
      You're getting holiday pay, taxed by hector for the same week in which you're working elsewhere, also taxed by hector. Seems legit.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Some companys don't allow their employees to work for anyone else whilst still in contract which he will still be. Gotta be careful firing statements off like this. It's not that straight forward.
        Companies Gotcha
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

After seeing this thread I actually decided to finally register and post my first reply :-)
          I am in a similar position. PHP Developer, 4 years commercial experience, strong skillset, modern technologies. It always took me no more than 3 days to find a perm contract. Bearing that in mind I submitted my resignation without any anxiety. The agency I spoke to assured me it's for sure there will be something for me by the date I leave my current job.
          2 weeks left till my last day and that agency have not got anything for me whatsoever. Yesterday I applied for more jobs on JobServe & Reed, and agents did not sound really assuring on the phone - saying that the market is not that busy now and trying to push me into permanent.
          Should I be worried or not? It has been a while I've been dreaming about becoming a contractor, and going perm now would feel like just disappointing

Comment

Originally posted by hraban View Post
            After seeing this thread I actually decided to finally register and post my first reply :-)
            I am in a similar position. PHP Developer, 4 years commercial experience, strong skillset, modern technologies. It always took me no more than 3 days to find a perm contract. Bearing that in mind I submitted my resignation without any anxiety. The agency I spoke to assured me it's for sure there will be something for me by the date I leave my current job.
            2 weeks left till my last day and that agency have not got anything for me whatsoever. Yesterday I applied for more jobs on JobServe & Reed, and agents did not sound really assuring on the phone - saying that the market is not that busy now and trying to push me into permanent.
            Should I be worried or not? It has been a while I've been dreaming about becoming a contractor, and going perm now would feel like just disappointing
            Welcome to the real world of contracting, I hope you have some saving to tide you over for a month or 3...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

4 years commercial experience. Good luck with that. You are gonna need it.

If I were you I'd be absolutely bricking it. And not just now. There is gig 2 to worry about and so on.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Never ever make decisions like that based on what an agency will tell you! You have just learned the hard way why not. You have the same experience as 1000s of other PHP devs its nowhere near a niche skillset anymore prepare for several months bench warming the IT contracts market has slowed dramatically in the last few months....

Comment

Originally posted by Frames84 View Post
                  the perm salaries increasing over the last couple of years
                  News to me : Embedded SW Engineers' salaries have been around £50k for the last 10 years and no real signs of change at this time.

Boo

Comment

Well, those decisions were made after 10+ people confirmed that will not be a problem to find a contract. Because it works for them just nicely
                    I guess I will do all I can till I have no money left, and they accept my defeat and go perm :|

Comment

What tulip dreams.....

It's still work you know, in fact it's work with XXXL stress added to the mix.

You have 4 years in work environment and think you are savvy enough to walk into a new "job", potentially every 3-6 months and get up to speed with clients' systems and start providing value from day 2, it's not easy you know our kid? Best of luck and all that but get ready for some very stressy times friend.

Comment

Working...
                      X