• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent rate negotiations after being in place for a while

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boo View Post
    Because the OP has already asked the agent and they have declined ? So his/her choice is to a) suck it up, b) to (threaten to) walk, or c) to get the client to intervene.

Boo
    Asking and having a proper conversation are two very different things, IMHO
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      If you're asking the agency to cut their margin, and are not looking to increase the amount paid by the client, why would you have that discussion with the client and not the person who needs to change their terms?
      It may come out that the client is paying far more for the contractor than the contractor is getting. That's fine for the first 6-12 months but after that the contractor is earning the extensions, not the agent.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        It may come out that the client is paying far more for the contractor than the contractor is getting. That's fine for the first 6-12 months but after that the contractor is earning the extensions, not the agent.
        The OP knows how much the client is paying - it's in the first post.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Jeez. The agent has got some bottle. Came back with Sorry no increase. So I asked who they'd spoken to at client about this. PM local here certainly hasn't mentioned it to me. Pretty sure the no has come from someone higher up - although I am wondering if agent has even mentioned it to client or just thought stuff it we're not rocking the boat we'll tell him no.

They decided to ignore this email and instead tell me they've informed the client that I've declined and will be leaving in two weeks. Definitely trying it on here.

So my options now are to have a word with the local PM - who I expect will be mortifed that there is a risk its not all sorted. Or wait until news that I'm leaving filters down to him?

Comment

Originally posted by mankyspanky View Post
            Jeez. The agent has got some bottle. Came back with Sorry no increase. So I asked who they'd spoken to at client about this. PM local here certainly hasn't mentioned it to me. Pretty sure the no has come from someone higher up - although I am wondering if agent has even mentioned it to client or just thought stuff it we're not rocking the boat we'll tell him no.

They decided to ignore this email and instead tell me they've informed the client that I've declined and will be leaving in two weeks. Definitely trying it on here.

So my options now are to have a word with the local PM - who I expect will be mortifed that there is a risk its not all sorted. Or wait until news that I'm leaving filters down to him?
            I think it's been said a number of times on this thread but you are after 5% of the agents cut, not the client upping their rate. The agent most likely knows the client is on a rate card and will not increase. Remember, if the client rate goes up so does the agents cut so there is money in it for him. There must be a very good reason an agent turns down more money i.e. it's not going to wash...

He won't have mentioned it to the client at all. It's between you and him. Getting the client involved can only cause problems. The PM will be mortified but that is because he's having to get involved in a rate argument of 5% to an already overpaid contractor and the fact he has better things to do.

There is playing hardball and there is pissing your client off royally... all for 5%? Your call.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Unless you've got the client over a barrel (i.e. regulatory project, you're absolutely essential, etc.) then 98% of the time you will not get your rate rise. You've probably also blown any chance of agency-funded food and drinks, which would have been a better place to remind them how much you've brought in for them this year.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                The OP knows how much the client is paying - it's in the first post.
                I know - but does the client know how much the agency is making?

There was a thread on here about a month ago about the contractor and client both being stitched up by the agency and the client then simply laying the law down and telling the agency what the day rate would be and what the contractor would get.

Comment

I would definitely be speaking to your client contact about this, I mean who knows what BS the agent is going to feed them about your reasons for leaving? Regardless of how the client feels about getting involved in rate discussions, I'd want it made perfectly clear that you are keen to stay but that you are having a disagreement with the agency about their contract. You don't have to go into details that it's about rate if you prefer not to (depends what your relationship with the PM is like) but knowing agents they will feed the client whatever they want to make sure they don't look bad which means they'll spew something about you being difficult or whatever.

However, as others have said, when it comes to rate increases you really have to be prepared to walk in order to get something out of this otherwise the agent will just call your bluff.

Comment

OK, so now you discuss it with whoever is the best person at the client to have the conversation with. Explain that you want an increase but the agency won't pay up, so you're leaving in two weeks at the end of the current contract. Ask who you should handover to, and plan accordingly.

Then either hope that the client tells the agency to cut their rate and they keep you with the increase, or walk away into a higher paying contract with no downtime. Or back down and accept that you aren't getting any increase.

Bear in mind that walking away might be the equivalent of radical nasal removal when extensive facial plastic surgery is required instead.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Agent's probably already got someone lined up prepared to work for less than you, and will be telling client how much better than you he is

Comment

Working...
                      X