• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent rate negotiations after being in place for a while

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are pretty expert at batting contractors off. They will get chancers day in day out can easily spot someone that means business IMO. If you push for 10 to 15 quid a day to bring his commission down maybe but anything more than that he'll know the score.

I also tend to think you have to nail it in the first conversation. Once you gone away grumbling he'll have you tagged and won't need to back down when you try again.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

On of my clients has recently put in a policy that after 6 months, the agency must reduce their margin to a fixed amount and pass the extra on to the contractor!
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        On of my clients has recently put in a policy that after 6 months, the agency must reduce their margin to a fixed amount and pass the extra on to the contractor!
        Hopefully with an eye on validating that's what they've actually done rather than saying they have!

Makes sense though as after 6 months they are just getting free money for little/no work...

Comment

Blimey, never heard of this in 30 years of contracting. But seems sensible to me. We should start a revolution.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            In the UK?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

OP another thought if you walk will you still be relying on this agency for future contracts?

If yes then put this rate increase request in the past and move on don't dwell on it or discuss it further with them otherwise it may sour your relationship and may hinder them putting anything else your way.

And of course with I think you said two weeks to go, are you already looking for something else anyway as a banker who knows you may well find a better gig.
              So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                1) Ask again, and have a proper conversation with the client, not the agent
                FTFY

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
                  FTFY

Boo
                  If you're asking the agency to cut their margin, and are not looking to increase the amount paid by the client, why would you have that discussion with the client and not the person who needs to change their terms?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                    Hopefully with an eye on validating that's what they've actually done rather than saying they have!

Makes sense though as after 6 months they are just getting free money for little/no work...
                    They do validate it, as they insist on sight of the contracts. I think the purchasing manager must have been a contractor at one time!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    In the UK?
                    They have a significant presence in the UK and what is done at head office is typically rolled out in the other countries fairly quickly. It keeps costs under control and helps retention of good resources.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                      If you're asking the agency to cut their margin, and are not looking to increase the amount paid by the client, why would you have that discussion with the client and not the person who needs to change their terms?
                      Because the OP has already asked the agent and they have declined ? So his/her choice is to a) suck it up, b) to (threaten to) walk, or c) to get the client to intervene.

Boo

Comment

Working...
                      X