• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn .. no contract jobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LinkedIn .. no contract jobs

Has anyone secured contract roles through LinkedIn?

All of the jobs advertised there seem to be perm.
    I guess then its just a networking tool for contractor as opposed to a job searching tool?

Have you got previous contract clients on there? Do they need your services again? Have you asked them?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I think more of networking tool I suppose. My current contract is through LinkedIn connections.

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post

I guess then its just a networking tool for contractor as opposed to a job searching tool?
        You guess wrong then. It's not just contractors that need to network you know. The job section is a by product more than the purpose of the site.

It's Wiki entry says...

[/LinkedIn /ˌliŋkt.ˈɪn/ is a business-oriented social networking service. Founded in December 2002 and launched on May 5, 2003,[2] it is mainly used for professional networking.
        Although am not keen on this bit
        As of 2015, most of the site's revenue comes from selling access to information about its users to recruiters and sales professionals.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The usually (haven't looked in a while) have a good few dev contracts advertised. Trouble is you can't filter on them , so you have to read them all to see if they are contract or not if it's not clear from the title.

Comment

My last two contracts have been found through LinkedIn, although the majority of ads are permanent roles.
            And the search function is cumbersome, not as user friendly as Jobserve.

Comment

May I point out a statement of the obvious?

Those of you who did a wonderful degree, great. The network you built at uni is worth more than your degree.

If you look at your entire linked in network and pick up the phone and pitch the people that know you & trust you, you are going to get a gig much faster than waiting for an agency to call or a former client to have a desperate and immediate need.

Every moment you are not billing, you should be pitching. Your time & effort is the commodity that you offer as value.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                My last two contracts have been found through LinkedIn, although the majority of ads are permanent roles.
                And the search function is cumbersome, not as user friendly as Jobserve.
                The search function is designed for their core market (the USA). Our contract market (where the most skilled are contractors and usually wish to remain that way) is rather unique....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by hgllgh View Post

Not by finding a gig and applying on their, but I do get regular calls from pimps about contract roles based on my profile.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Pimps put a lot of gigs on their status updates, even if they are not directly of interest to me I often forward them on to others in my linkedin network who I know are on the market. Simple things like clicking like on someone's status update saying "on market for new contract opportunities" is often enough to get that status update shown to others... ie pimps... who then look at the profile and can result in a real gig if you fit what they are looking for in a particular role.
                    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Working...
                    X