• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Aldermore -- How Easy to set up, How Easy to use

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Which account options has everyone used?
    Aldermore instant access at 1.1%
    Aldermore fixed-term account for the corporation tax at 1.88%

Cambridge and Counties 30 day notice account - 1.49%
    Cambridge and Counties 95 day notice account - 1.74%

All only interact with one nominee account so no-one can make a payment to a new recipient on your behalf.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Aldermore instant access at 1.1%
      Aldermore fixed-term account for the corporation tax at 1.88%

Cambridge and Counties 30 day notice account - 1.49%
      Cambridge and Counties 95 day notice account - 1.74%

All only interact with one nominee account so no-one can make a payment to a new recipient on your behalf.
      I've got (and had) numerous customized length/rate accounts with Aldermore. Just opened another one today to stick my 16/17 corp tax in, due Dec 17, got 1.92%

Comment

Well, well. Plan B is based on the fact that my wife's citizenship makes it easy for me to leave these hallowed isles. But having her as a director also means I can't get an Aldermore account, which is mildly irritating. Maybe I'll call them back and ask if they are racist, that should be fun.

Next best instant access account, according to the best buy tables, is Nationwide, but they don't have Internet access on their account. Maybe they'll join the 21st century someday. Anyway, that means I'm still looking around. Anybody know of an instant access, online functional, easy to open and easy to use instant access savings account that pays 0.5% or more? I guess I'll just use 6 month and 12 month fixed term savings for the CT.

Comment

There is also State Bank of India that pays 1.5%!
          Opened in branch, but online after that, must maintain £10k balance
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            There is also State Bank of India that pays 1.5%!
            Opened in branch, but online after that, must maintain £10k balance
            Isn't that going to be a problem for a dwindling number of us?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Isn't that going to be a problem for a dwindling number of us?
              They have branches in the UK
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                Well, well. Plan B is based on the fact that my wife's citizenship makes it easy for me to leave these hallowed isles. But having her as a director also means I can't get an Aldermore account, which is mildly irritating. Maybe I'll call them back and ask if they are racist, that should be fun.

Next best instant access account, according to the best buy tables, is Nationwide, but they don't have Internet access on their account. Maybe they'll join the 21st century someday. Anyway, that means I'm still looking around. Anybody know of an instant access, online functional, easy to open and easy to use instant access savings account that pays 0.5% or more? I guess I'll just use 6 month and 12 month fixed term savings for the CT.
                TBH, if your wife is a US citizen, you'll likely struggle with most banks post FATCA.

That being said, I'd also recommend Nationwide, unless you plan very regular withdrawals. It doesn't have online access, but you can operate via e-mail (between linked accounts). It isn't much hassle in practice.

Comment

LOL @NLUK.

Not particularly close to any of those SBI branches, but will surely be meeting one of my clients in London before long, so that may be my best plan.

Yes, FATCA is a classic example of government doing things that make life harder for the honest and law-abiding, using the dishonest as their excuse. They talk about how much it brings in, but no one wants to talk about how many US citizens renounce their citizenship to be free of an absurd burden that has nothing to do with them, and how much revenue they lose as a result. No one talks about how FATCA hinders partly US-owned/operated businesses abroad and costs them money, reducing US tax take.

Government policy makers act and no one expects people/businesses to react. Unintended consequences are impossible, as far as policy makers are concerned. Idiots. The only satisfying thing about FATCA is it gives hope that HMRC aren't the stupidest people on the planet -- the imbeciles across the pond are giving them a run for the title.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                    LOL @NLUK.

Not particularly close to any of those SBI branches, but will surely be meeting one of my clients in London before long, so that may be my best plan.

Yes, FATCA is a classic example of government doing things that make life harder for the honest and law-abiding, using the dishonest as their excuse. They talk about how much it brings in, but no one wants to talk about how many US citizens renounce their citizenship to be free of an absurd burden that has nothing to do with them, and how much revenue they lose as a result. No one talks about how FATCA hinders partly US-owned/operated businesses abroad and costs them money, reducing US tax take.

Government policy makers act and no one expects people/businesses to react. Unintended consequences are impossible, as far as policy makers are concerned. Idiots. The only satisfying thing about FATCA is it gives hope that HMRC aren't the stupidest people on the planet -- the imbeciles across the pond are giving them a run for the title.
                    Yup. FWIW there's quite a lot of support, particularly among the GOP, to repeal FATCA.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      Yup. FWIW there's quite a lot of support, particularly among the GOP, to repeal FATCA.
                      Which means they probably won't win the election, if they actually have any sane policies. But if they are the sane party, why Trump? Which brings to mind Churchill's quote about the best argument against democracy....

Comment

Working...
                      X