• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extension - attempted rate cut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension - attempted rate cut

Got offered 12 months extension, only ever been a load of 6 week - 2 month extensions so far, but a big bit of work has landed they need my skill set for...

Quiet chat later and I'm just waiting on the paperwork before I draft the contract... sneaky things tried to put a 15% day rate cut through due to the length of the contract they are offering

I've played tough, so will see how this pans out... you often hear people say on here you have to be prepared to walk, so lets see who blinks first!

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
    Got offered 12 months extension, only ever been a load of 6 week - 2 month extensions so far, but a big bit of work has landed they need my skill set for...

Quiet chat later and I'm just waiting on the paperwork before I draft the contract... sneaky things tried to put a 15% day rate cut through due to the length of the contract they are offering

I've played tough, so will see how this pans out... you often hear people say on here you have to be prepared to walk, so lets see who blinks first!

If you agree a reciprocal notice period, a 15% cut on a 12 monther in my books is acceptable. Reduce your effort by 10% if not on some daft scrum diet.

Comment

My response to that (when they try to sell a gig that way - never had it yet on renewal) is that the duration is the exact opposite of an incentive! Not so great rate for 3 months? Sure - if the works good, or I've got nothing better to do then why not. But I don't want to be stuck on a low rate for a whole year

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        My response to that (when they try to sell a gig that way - never had it yet on renewal) is that the duration is the exact opposite of an incentive! Not so great rate for 3 months? Sure - if the works good, or I've got nothing better to do then why not. But I don't want to be stuck on a low rate for a whole year
        In the current climate, stability is attractive, when supported by an amended contract.

Comment

To be fair the new contract will be on a very decent piece of work, which should set me on a decent path bouncing around between clients trying to do the same for the next 5 years... but I'm already giving them an exceptionally good rate, and they have previous for promising a long contract during negotiation, and then actually only offering a 3 month.

Its a direct gig, and I like the board, so will see.

I thought I might get a bit of hard nosed mutual support on here, not sensible advice

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
            In the current climate, stability is attractive, when supported by an amended contract.
            This is indeed a bonus. Go elsewhere and take a few weeks on the bench and that cut will win everytime.....but to try it on with an experienced contractor that knows he's needed is going to fall flat. Stick it to them and my money is on a boom with a nich long contract at your current rate.

Sadly there are enough idiots that will fall for this to make it a viable option for clients and agents to try. We talk about all their underhand tactics but sadly there are people there that feed the system making these tactics worth trying.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In 2009 I was 'offered' a rate cut at an IB I was contracted at. The offer was 5% but I negotiated this down to 2.5% and also had them increase the contract term to 12 months instead of 6. The increase in duration to me was worth the 2.5% rate cut. Not sure I would have taken 15%: this is £75/day if you're on £500, so it is a lot of lost income.

Anyway, you say they need your skillset for this big new project. And you've been there a while so you will hit the project running, you're the best man for the job. Surely to them it's worthwhile paying you a little more to ensure the success of the project?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                I had a pimp try this very tactic 'the reason the rate is so low (it was tulip) is that it's a 12 month contract and they have years of work in the pipeline so you could be there for 3-5 years', my response was exactly that 'I may take a 3 monther at that rate if I have to but 12 months?', Told him to jog on
                Last edited by administrator; 1 February 2016, 09:46. Reason: No winking please

Comment

A 12 month contract is worthless if the notice period they have to give is just a week
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    A 12 month contract is worthless if the notice period they have to give is just a week
                    +1 in fact for me as someone who never has and never will terminate mid contract it's a negative!

Comment

Working...
                    X