• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extension - attempted rate cut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be fair, it won't be a one day contract. I'm working with the directors and will be directly involved with all aspects of the programme I'd be leading, so I'll see when the writing is on the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
      MOO Means that any contract length is only as good as a 1 day contract!
      Is it just the default that clientcos & agencies **** over contractors with unilateral contracts in the UK now? It's nearly 2 decades since I left contracting in the UK on a world contracting tour.

I would have no problem signing off a reciprocal notice period for a contractor who had demonstrated his value and I wanted to renew for 12 months.

Comment

MOO Means that any contract length is only as good as a 1 day contract!
        I think your perception is wrong. MoO deals with the obligation to offer work AFTER the work you've been brought on to do is complete. The contract is a T&M one which deals with it in assignment.

The term in the contract around MoO that helps IR35 is something like..

The [Employment Business] is under no obligation to offer future contracts to the [Contractor] and if it does make any such offer, the [Contractor] is not obliged to accept it.
        Other links with reference to this...

The key factors which determine your IR35 status

IR35:Substitution, control and mutuality of obligation :: Contractor UK

and so on.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Really? I thought MOO dealt with work in the existing contract, and that's how companies can furlough staff. "Don't come in over Xmas, there's no work for you to do."
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

There is to some extent but we are also one T&M basis so no work no pay which is detailed in the contract. MoO deals with the issue of an over arching contract of employment do can't exist between assignments.

The details are a lot more complicated than that but that's how i see a quick summary
            Last edited by northernladuk; 22 January 2016, 16:40.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
              Take the 15% cut the job market is tough right now! Lots of reluctant bench warmers in the market.
              That's why my phone is ringing of the hook.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                There is to some extent but we are also one T&M basis so no work no pay which is detailed in the contract. MoO deals with the issue of an over arching contract of employment do can't exist between assignments.

The details are a lot more complicated than that but that's how i see a quick summary
                That's what I meant, you can have a 4 week notice period which the client can serve to the letter of your contract but then tell you that there's no work for you to do = no £££, not complaining about that but it makes contract length and notice periods not worth much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  That's why my phone is ringing of the hook.
                  PPI?

Comment

That's what I meant, you can have a 4 week notice period which the client can serve to the letter of your contract but then tell you that there's no work for you to do = no £££, not complaining about that but it makes contract length and notice periods not worth much.
                    The vast majority of clients do not do this simply because they will not risk you taking them to court. There are unwritten terms in our contracts which rely on case law and b "gentlemen's" agreement.

They therefore either:
                    1. Ensure the notice is one or two weeks if they have a history of having projects canned early, OR
                    2. Make up a false excuse to get rid of you, OR,
                    3. Find a real excuse and document it to get rid of you, OR,
                    4. Get a mutual agreement which one party writes down for you to go.

1 can mean if there is absolutely nothing to do they bung you a few quid, while 2 and 3 makes contractors angry. Though in the cases where 3 happens they tend to make sure there are at least two witnesses including one who is independent.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X