• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to spot a dodgy agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apologies if this is a duplicate thread; I did run a search of sorts, honest.

So I've expressed elsewhere a concern about making an agreement with an agency to have them represent me for a gig only to potentially not get it because they actually didn't have any "in" with the client and were merely hoping to spam them to get a foot in the door.

Certainly in the past long before I seriously considered contracting I had someone come to me with a permanent position, agreed to give them my CV, only to have another agency call me about the same job and say they had the exclusive staff sourcing deal with the end company. So I'm obviously hoping to avoid that kind of thing in future.

So, are there any serious (or amusing) methods for identifying a scammer? Right now the only thing I can think is to limit myself to big agencies whose names I recognise or small outfits that operate north of the Border, but I don't know if that's unnecessarily limiting myself.

About 99% of them.

HTH.

BIDI.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Ask if they are on the client's PSL! (if no they will not usually submit your CV as straightaway you have told them you know who they are !!).

Comment

First off. Don't get in to Agent hating mode. It will cloud your judgement and make it harder for you to play them at their own game. Yes some of their techniques seem ridiculous, petty or down right fraudulent but they are businesses, they need to make money and very very few of them are 'scammers' and truly dodgy. We do rely on them heavily for our livelihood so I'd say understand them, be prepared and if one gives you the run around then that's part of the game. Don't forget there are enough toss pots out there pretending to be professional contractors so most of what they are do is a result of some of us creating that need.

So.... Understand what they do. Spot the difference between a sales person and a proper agent. If you get a salesperson don't expect too much etc. Understand the process end to end and keep an eye on the forums for the twists and turns and just play them. In most cases if you get screwed over by an agent it's because you were asking for it. Show them you mean business and they'll probably be 'fairly' straight with you.

Maybe it will just come over time but there are lots of examples.

But remember... Just because you don't like what they do does not mean they are 'dodgy'. Know it and negotiate it out. Knowing the process will put you in a good place to deal with Opt Out, delays, submitting CV's, IR35 negotiations etc. Many of the things the newbies that hate agents can't deal with.

Be a player not a hater
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post

So I've expressed elsewhere a concern about making an agreement with an agency to have them represent me for a gig only to potentially not get it because they actually didn't have any "in" with the client and were merely hoping to spam them to get a foot in the door.

Certainly in the past long before I seriously considered contracting I had someone come to me with a permanent position, agreed to give them my CV, only to have another agency call me about the same job and say they had the exclusive staff sourcing deal with the end company. So I'm obviously hoping to avoid that kind of thing in future.

So, are there any serious (or amusing) methods for identifying a scammer? Right now the only thing I can think is to limit myself to big agencies whose names I recognise or small outfits that operate north of the Border, but I don't know if that's unnecessarily limiting myself.
          Ask them for a reference number for the role if they're putting you forward, so that you can manager the roles. I've spoken to ClientCo's HR to confirm that the company is on the PSL (a bit of BS about two agents approaching and wanting to give your cv best chance of landing on hiring manager's desk).

A good way of telling if they're dodgy - their lips are moving.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Be a player not a hater

Correct, great advice
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
              Ask if they are on the client's PSL! (if no they will not usually submit your CV as straightaway you have told them you know who they are !!).
              But wouldn't a dyed-in-the-wool spiv (do correct my use of old-fashioned British slang if incorrect) answer yes to that obvious question?

And thanks for some very good advice guys, I'll bear it in mind. I'm not keen on being too adversarial. I think part of the issue is not fully understanding the risks of being misdirected. It is a lot about getting a feel for what sounds legit versus someone sweet-talking you in this game.
              Last edited by seanraaron; 18 January 2016, 14:40.

Comment

But wouldn't a dyed-in-the-wool spiv (do correct my use of old-fashioned British slang if incorrect) answer yes to that obvious question?
                PM Dodgy Agent on here, our Forum Personality of 2015, I'm sure he will provide a truthful answer
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If their lips move when talking

Comment

Maybe, but it probably doesn't matter if you a) ask them to e-mail that they're on the PSL in exchange for you e-mailing back that you're happy for them to represent you and b) you put an expiration on their ability to represent you.

That way if an agent phones you 3 days later asking they put you forward, you can say go ahead. If there's then a conflict, from agency A saying hey we were representing you, and agency A is not on the PSL, you can potentially forward the e-mail to agency B and agency B can tell them where to shove it. Likewise if they are on the PSL and didn't put you forward, and agency B checked with ClientCo after you said 'I thought I was already put forward by agency A...' then if agency B comes back and says clientco said you haven't been put forward, you can let Agency B represent you and if Agency A comes back and kicks off, you can again tell them where to shove it.

That's the theory of course, it might not work like that in reality but it's the best you can do.
                    Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Working...
                    X