• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to spot a dodgy agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    But wouldn't a dyed-in-the-wool spiv (do correct my use of old-fashioned British slang if incorrect) answer yes to that obvious question?

And thanks for some very good advice guys, I'll bear it in mind. I'm not keen on being too adversarial. I think part of the issue is not fully understanding the risks of being misdirected. It is a lot about getting a feel for what sounds legit versus someone sweet-talking you in this game.
    Save this as a template and fill in the xxxxx each time

Hi Agentx,

I'm happy for you to act exclusively on my behalf for Role Ref xxxxx, subject to confirmation that you are on xxxxxxx's PSL. If I hear nothing from you within x days, I will assume that you have not put me forward and this email will be considered as null and void.

Best regards,
    Me
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Ask them for a reference number for the role if they're putting you forward, so that you can manager the roles. I've spoken to ClientCo's HR to confirm that the company is on the PSL (a bit of BS about two agents approaching and wanting to give your cv best chance of landing on hiring manager's desk).

A good way of telling if they're dodgy - their lips are moving.
      if they discover, It's not an "ofence" to contact the client.?

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
        You can contact who you like.

In fact I've had to tell some agencies that I've arranged an interview with the client myself just because the agency have offered times I'm not available....
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
          Likewise if they are on the PSL and didn't put you forward, and agency B checked with ClientCo after you said 'I thought I was already put forward by agency A...' then if agency B comes back and says clientco said you haven't been put forward, you can let Agency B represent you and if Agency A comes back and kicks off, you can again tell them where to shove it.

That's the theory of course, it might not work like that in reality but it's the best you can do.
          I have done this where I've been called about a job that sounds similar, but the exciting client reveal hasn't happened yet. Good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
            The agent might find it "offensive" but there is nothing that they can do about it, especially if they aren't on the PSL. If they turn out to NOT be on the PSL, ask HR which agent at which agency you should get in touch with. You have an obligation to your Ltd Co shareholders to carry out your duties to the best of your ability; if that includes exercising more diligence when finding new contracts then so be it.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You are not asking the right question. The question should be "How to spot a good agent?".

A good agent on the PSL can perform miracles when you have a good relationship with them.

The agent who placed me in this role:

1. Got the clientco to postpone final interview for 3 months because of my travel commitments.
              2. Put me in direct contact with HR director so we could share emails & telephone numbers. (This allowed me to verify point 1).
              3. Floored me by telling me I was undervaluing myself by €75K and submitted me accordingly. (place holder for €1 valuation jokes)
              4. Agreed with me and explained to client that a detailed technical interview by engineers was irrelevant and a waste of my time for a governance position.

With experience you will learn who good agents are and to spot them, but importantly maintain your relationship with them. It's a two way street and like all good relationships it can take years to nurture.

But in answer to you original question, work on the assumption that most of them are tulip.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
                You are not asking the right question. The question should be "How to spot a good agent?".

A good agent on the PSL can perform miracles when you have a good relationship with them.

The agent who placed me in this role:

1. Got the clientco to postpone final interview for 3 months because of my travel commitments.
                2. Put me in direct contact with HR director so we could share emails & telephone numbers. (This allowed me to verify point 1).
                3. Floored me by telling me I was undervaluing myself by €75K and submitted me accordingly. (place holder for €1 valuation jokes)
                4. Agreed with me and explained to client that a detailed technical interview by engineers was irrelevant and a waste of my time for a governance position.

With experience you will learn who good agents are and to spot them, but importantly maintain your relationship with them. It's a two way street and like all good relationships it can take years to nurture.

But in answer to you original question, work on the assumption that most of them are tulip.
                Awesome, who are these people and do they have clients in the Glasgow area?

Comment

Spot on.

I have known mine for quite a while, around 6 years+, a very decent guy, who actually cares about client relationships.
                  Hence, why he is so successful.

work on the assumption that most of them are tulip.
                  Also spot on
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

If they are over selling the role they are probably not very good, in my experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X