• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Two months contract - is it worth it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have done a few short term things and to the best of my knowledge it hasn't held me back, but then again I have some longer ones to balance up.

Comment

I've done a 6 week contract once. It was only EVER going to be six weeks. This particular organisation is totally focused on one busy period a year (which was this 6 weeks).

Apart from this, I've had extensions every time. Still get agents asking, so why was this just 6 weeks then, did you get canned, why didnt they offer an extension etc???
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        I've done a 6 week contract once. It was only EVER going to be six weeks. This particular organisation is totally focused on one busy period a year (which was this 6 weeks).

Apart from this, I've had extensions every time. Still get agents asking, so why was this just 6 weeks then, did you get canned, why didnt they offer an extension etc???
        I've had a couple like that both with NDAs. I explain politely what sort of client they were and any agent over 30 understands that both the clients were in a hell of a mess. It does help that lots of my other contracts aren't precise 3 month lengths e.g . 8 months, 13 months.

Those under 30 often have difficultly understanding that while a client may start of with a 3 month contract, extensions will only be to finish of the project.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          * They found a small project that wouldn't normally have needed a contractor to cover the notice period, which was good of them as they could have just turfed me out, notice periods being meaningless.
          Why you believe notice periods could be ignored by client?
          Last edited by Relaxed; 30 December 2015, 21:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Relaxed View Post
            Because you get paid for days work done and they are not obliged to give you work. There is often a clause in your contract that says you 9nly get paid when you have a signed time sheet. They can give you notice but not offer you any work. No work means no time sheet which means no pay.. I. E. Instant termination.

They could also claim you are not up to scratch and walk you on the spot. Too difficult and expensive for you to prove otherwise.

Notice periods are covered endlessly on here so a quick search will get you plenty of reading material.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Relaxed View Post
              As a contractor you only get paid if there is work to do, this distinguishes you from permanent staff.

So if, for example, you are told between Christmas and New Year the site is closed then you cannot work and so will not be paid. If a week later the client serves you notice, which happens to coincide with the site closure time, then while you are still in a contract until the end of that period you don't earn any money.

There are occasions due to unforseen circumstances e.g. third party cancels a contract, where the client will pay you notice without you having to work. This is because the client is paying a financial penalty to you for ending the contract early. They do not want their reputation damaged and be known as a larger company that shafts its smaller suppliers, or to be dragged through court costing them more money then the cost of simply paying you off.

While this is legally more subtle than stating notice periods are meaningless, financially for contractors it amounts to the same thing.

In regards to having timesheet signed you also need to be able to prove you have done the work you are suppose be delivering. Some clients/agencies have a disclaimer on their timesheet indicating not being able to do this is a breach of contract.

So you can have a timesheet signed by the client and have done nothing. The client and agency can then argue that they won't pay and refuse to. They can also argue that you need to pay back x amount otherwise they will take you to court. On the other hand the client can refuse to sign a timesheet using underhand tactics but if you aren't opted out (or have an appropriately worded contract), as long as you have other proof you have done the work the client has to pay up, otherwise you can take the party you have your contract with to court.

This latter point about timesheets is why you need to read, understand and negotiate your contract before you start the role.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                So remember when they furlough you over Christmas with no work, you are effectively in a position to give notice and not come back. It works two ways ...
                Yep - though the only clients I've disliked enough to want to do that have made me work through Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  As someone who reviews Contract CV's for clients from time to time. Sorry, but no, lots of short contracts reads "Never renewed" to me. Not a good indicator. Getting renewals is a big positive, it shows you can hack it. It's the clients you didn't get an interview with that cared.

Breaks are fine, lots of short contracts ... not promising.
                  It's a reasonable deduction and annoying all the same. I'd like to have the flexibility of working 9 months per year and sticking my thumb up my derrière for the other 3 (or take 3 months off between contracts) but in reality, that would end (or severely limit) my business. Agents would think I'm not committed/chancey. Whereas in reality, I'm just running my business they way I want to run it (and providing a good service).

Comment

I theoretically do everything wrong as I accept short term projects and I have been averaging 6 months a year. I am 65 and prefer to not work all year than retire. Maybe its because I am an SAP consultant and most contracts average 6 to 9 months. The last phase of each contract usually ends with " Provided go live support" so its normal that my service is no longer required.My last contract ended during my extension period as I was replaced by a cheaper Indian.

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
                      My last contract ended during my extension period as I was replaced by a cheaper Indian.
                      So essentially your past employer handed over a skilled job done by you, to an unskilled cheaper foreigner just because they can save a lot of quid.
                      You are happy to mention that you were replaced by an Indian, but not ready to disclose your shameless employer's name who took this replacement decision?
                      Interesting!

I would say it is your employer who needs to be blamed for this, not that foreigner!

Comment

Working...
                      X