• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

passed the interview, got the contract, 5 weeks later still waiting for a start date

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

passed the interview, got the contract, 5 weeks later still waiting for a start date

Hi,

Need some advice.

I just finished a contract tail end of October, I got an interview lined up the following week, I passed the interview and agency congratulated me on the contract, he said it would take 2-3 weeks to sort out the paperwork.

As it was a Bank, I would have undergo an exhaustive background screening process, I gave them everything they wanted (degree, certifications, 7 year references). I was told by the agency I passed the screening process, now just waiting for the paperwork from the bank. I was given an initial start date of tail end of November. It didn't happen. 5 weeks after interview, no contract, no start date.

Agency have said they don't know why its taking so long. They have now told me that I should start looking for other roles in case this doesn't go ahead!

I find this really appalling, I spent the whole of November not pursuing other roles as I thought this contract was going ahead. Both the agency and client are big. Now with it coming into Christmas and going into New Year, roles are going to be thin on the ground. As a result, I'm going to be taking quite a big financial hit for being out of work.

Shouldn't stop looking for roles until you are sitting at the clients desk with a signed contract. Nothing else to it.

Stuff goes wrong, you've got to look after yourself and keep your ass covered. Simple as that. Valuable, if not a bit expensive lesson learned I am afraid.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by robinhood1 View Post
      Hi,

Need some advice.

I just finished a contract tail end of October, I got an interview lined up the following week, I passed the interview and agency congratulated me on the contract, he said it would take 2-3 weeks to sort out the paperwork.

As it was a Bank, I would have undergo an exhaustive background screening process, I gave them everything they wanted (degree, certifications, 7 year references). I was told by the agency I passed the screening process, now just waiting for the paperwork from the bank. I was given an initial start date of tail end of November. It didn't happen. 5 weeks after interview, no contract, no start date.

Agency have said they don't know why its taking so long. They have now told me that I should start looking for other roles in case this doesn't go ahead!

I find this really appalling, I spent the whole of November not pursuing other roles as I thought this contract was going ahead. Both the agency and client are big. Now with it coming into Christmas and going into New Year, roles are going to be thin on the ground. As a result, I'm going to be taking quite a big financial hit for being out of work.
      And?

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
        And?
        Nicely put sir!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That's life, Jim.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Never forget we are called contractors. It's for a reason.

Yes - lesson for everyone: even though it has been said many times, you don't stop searching until you are sitting at your new desk.

Personally I take the first role that gives me a signed contract even if that has overtaken another one.
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Sounds like LBG HR arseholes pissing everyone around again.

Contact the agent and tell him as the required paperwork hasnt appeared and you havent yet set foot on site, you're attending another interview. If they get their act together, you wont be available for the first role.

People need to start taking charge of their contracts instead of letting clients and \ or agents dictate to you.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by robinhood1 View Post
                Hi,

Need some advice.

I've been there. It burns, it really does. You've learned a lesson and you'll never do it again. You don't stop looking until you are sitting at the desk. And even then......we just got rid of someone who had been with us for 2 months. He thought he was here for at least 12 months.....such is the life of a contractor.....

Comment

Thanks to those who posted informative advice, yes, very expensive lesson learnt. I simply can't fathom what is going on behind the scenes, if they have changed their mind, then say so, why drag me through that screening process and having to contact previous managers to provide references etc which I'll have to do all over again for any future roles. I don't want to annoy my previous managers with constant requests for references.

I had thought there may be some legal action I could take for recompense/loss of revenue, as the fault is entirely theirs, they have verbally and in email offered a contract.

Yes, this experience has totally changed my view (and how I view Agencies/End Clients going forward). I will very much keep applying for roles, attend interviews, till I have a contract and start date.

Also, seem to be a lot of agencies playing silly games - only offering to put you forward for a role, if you provide them with a reference or someone who recommends you. Guess I need to wise up on agency games.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
                    I've been there. It burns, it really does. You've learned a lesson and you'll never do it again. You don't stop looking until you are sitting at the desk. And even then......we just got rid of someone who had been with us for 2 months. He thought he was here for at least 12 months.....such is the life of a contractor.....
                    Thank you, you've summed up just how I feel.

Comment

Working...
                    X