• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE or Qdos or Big Group or keep the money in the bank

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPSE or Qdos or Big Group or keep the money in the bank

Now... theres a question. Attracted by the all in one for supply of, competitive, insurance but also IR35 support. I appreciate I'm going to get a range of responses but Qdos looks like a pretty comprehensive type of service depending on what you want. But they all offer different things to a degree. So really seeking that wide view as in if I was going to go for one which would be one to go for ?
    Last edited by topgazza; 30 November 2015, 18:45.

What are you looking for? Because they all offer different things (although I'll admit that I know next to nothing about Big Group).

IPSE membership gives you tax investigation cover that is second to none - I can't think of any other organisation that has spent over £1 million on taking a single case to the highest court in the land, delivering benefits that many contractors have taken advantage of. IPSE plus membership gives you business interruption insurance - jury duty cover, compensation for the agency defaulting, sickness cover, payments for tax compliance meetings. IPSE membership means that you are part of a members organisation that lobbies for the interests of contractors - and it means that if you don't like what they are doing then you have a simple way to show that disapproval, by discussing policy and direction with the senior management team and the board of directors. IPSE members get access to discounted pensions and financial products, and an employee discount scheme which can save you money (I recoup more than my annual subscription most years by using IPSE Advantages to get discounts). IPSE members have a discount on their preferred insurance provider (which may or may not be a better deal for you), discount on payments to Safe Collections for chasing debt, free access to work spaces in London if you need them, discount on in-depth contract reviews (which look at more than just IR35)...

Qdos are a commercial entity who provide insurance and accountancy services. I've had them do my contract reviews in the past and found them good. I've purchased my company insurance through them in the past. And if all you are after is insurance, then they may well be the best option for you.

But as I said at the top - it depends on what you are after as to what you do with your money. IPSE offer things that none of the others do - I can't remember the total maximum payouts but it's something like £120k cover (possibly more than that), plus the knowledge that they can take the fight as far as it can go in order to protect contractors.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks for the detailed comparison...impressive ... food for thought and nice to get users view which is exactly what i wanted

In terms of what I want I am weighing up the two see what they provide in reality.

Comment

To be fair The Faqqer is now part of the IPSE management committee so take his glowing endorsement with an appropriate pinch of salt. The organisation leaves a lot to be desired, it's got a habit of making claims that it can't sensibly substantiate. That being said in the past his advice has been first rate. IPSE is essentially an insurance vehicle with a lobby group tacked on the back that claims a mandate from their insurance customers.

Qdos are an insurance supplier for a variety of business cover, many CUK members buy insurances off them and they do professional reviews of contracts too..

Big Group has been set up to support a group of people who used various loan schemes in the past so they're all facing nasty action from HMRC, totally different from the insurance suppliers.

Comment

Plenty of threads discussing the QDOS vs IPSE thing in the link below.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=IP..._uOIe1a9mmn4gN
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Many thanks again.... I shall be reading some threads I think

Comment

I joined IPSE for both the insurance and the representation. I'm not sure they always get it right, but it seems that if you don't like it, you can very quickly get yourself into a position where you can influence it, as FaQQer and other CUKers have done.

Comment

[mal]IPSE don't do insurance [/mal]
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You can get 20% "Black Friday" discount if you sign up before midnight - no pressure!

Last chance to take up our Black Friday 20% discount!

Failing that, there's always IPSEMGM0004

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    FTFY

Comment

Working...
                    X