• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice of early renewal nearly 2 months early but for only a 6 week contract!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice of early renewal nearly 2 months early but for only a 6 week contract!

With only 6 weeks until my 6 month contract ends my boss has mentioned that they will extend me until the end of February. I can't help feeling that, as Christmas is on its way and I'm in holiday for a week between then and New Year is to give them time to replace me. I have not refused, just said that it's ok, "Ok! " I chirpily replied, but I hate the role and having been told the next 6 weeks will consist of monotonous data management I really want out. Should I come clean and say I don't want to be extended even though I am not due to finish until mid January? Or should I say nothing and start looking now in the hope that something comes up before my contract comes through? I feel a bit guilty as I know that leaving early would cause problems at a very busy time and they would be annoyed but at the same time I want to get out and find a contract I like better with a team that works together rather than against each other.

I want to get out and find a contract I like better with a team that works together rather than against each other.
    For Gods sake don't get one in Investment Banking
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
      With only 6 weeks until my 6 month contract ends my boss has mentioned that they will extend me until the end of February. I can't help feeling that, as Christmas is on its way and I'm in holiday for a week between then and New Year is to give them time to replace me. I have not refused, just said that it's ok, "Ok! " I chirpily replied, but I hate the role and having been told the next 6 weeks will consist of monotonous data management I really want out. Should I come clean and say I don't want to be extended even though I am not due to finish until mid January? Or should I say nothing and start looking now in the hope that something comes up before my contract comes through? I feel a bit guilty as I know that leaving early would cause problems at a very busy time and they would be annoyed but at the same time I want to get out and find a contract I like better with a team that works together rather than against each other.

"Nearly 2 months early" or 6 weeks, less a week that you are off for Christmas.

So, 5 weeks of work before your contract finishes, you don't want it extended, but you've already said "OK" to them.

I'm slightly confused here, sounds like a moast to me.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Why not stick with them and help them out. Might not sound very exciting but will prove that you are dependable. Let's say you get another renew to do the same monotonous work, then you can turn around and say "Sorry".

Comment

Originally posted by mdhd View Post
          Why not stick with them and help them out. Might not sound very exciting but will prove that you are dependable. Let's say you get another renew to do the same monotonous work, then you can turn around and say "Sorry".
          With the bonus of hitting the bench at arguably the best time of the year.
          I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Part of the benefit of contracting is to be more flexible when it comes to work. If you don't like it's don't so it. Plenty of other gigs out there. If you want to cash then take a deep breath and see it through. Not really anything for us to do except wonder why you are telling us and not mumsnet.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

1. .. is to give them time to replace me..
              2. ..but I hate the role..
              3. ..I feel a bit guilty as I know that leaving early would cause problems at a very busy time and they would be annoyed..
              1. Probably.
              2. Then reject the offer of the renewal.
              3. They will give no consideration to you being "annoyed" due to 1. . So you should give no consideration to them being annoyed at 3.
              Guilt is for wimps. Are you a contractor rat or a permatemp mouse?

Comment

God, another one in need of mumsnet!
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by mdhd View Post
                  The problem is that a couple of projects I have been working with are closing down after December but more importantly what I have been asked to do has been changing during what they have told me is a "lull" in programme delivery. However a new resource has been taken on and he and my other colleague seem to be getting more work than ever. Whereas I'm being passed all the mundane stuff that they don't want to do. Plus one month's extension isn't great to do this tulip work when I could get 3-6 months elsewhere doing something better. ..

Comment

Plus one month's extension isn't great to do this tulip work when I could get 3-6 months elsewhere doing something better. ..
                    Then get 3-6 months elsewhere doing something better.

Comment

Working...
                    X