• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

crap boss- advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is slagging him off in a large meeting the best way that you want to represent your business? If so, go for it.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If you;re leaving in a week anyway why bother?
      Just stress and hassle for yourself.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

As others have said, be professional.

Others in the company will already know, so you are only more likely to cause yourself hassle.

You might not want to work with the guy again, but being unprofessional could spoil a good relationship with someone else and potentially cost you down the line with them

Comment

Its rare to have a decent boss just ignore it work your notice out & move on. The worse thing you can ever do is slag your boss off in a meeting:

1: Its unprofessional all they have to do is tell the agency you may find a delay getting your last payment....... or you may find you even breach the T&Cs small print that's rare but it does happen.
          2: Someone who matters will know someone else who matters & or is hiring. You are unlikely to be top of anyones wish list if you cannot hold your tongue in a meeting are you!
          3: Most bosses no matter how they appear will not tolerate that & let you stay onsite until the contract ends. They can fire you on the spot all they have to do is call the agency & tell them your not wanted anymore & they wish to fire you.

Over a number of years I have seen 3 different contractors slag the boss off. All were never seen again the next day as they were obviously fired overnight. You might think you have some hold over the client you don't until they have paid all your invoices in full!

Comment

There is no place for emotion, you are operating a business.

If you take emotion out of this equation, is there any commercial advantage to engaging in this manner?

No.

Comment

The correct answer is to walk away.

From the flaming poo you left in his top drawer.

But seriously, as others say, it ain't worth it. I've burned bridges in the past and it felt amazing to tell companies how stupid they were being and what they needed to do to fix it, in my exit interviews (as a permie). However, it means I can't go back there now and ask if they need a contractor, cos they hate me (even though I was right in every instance, and after crashing and burning for 6 months they finally did what I said on all 3 occasions and it helped to solve their problems).
              Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Yeah as everyone says just rise above it. I have a rule "Never say anything critical of anyone ever in the workplace." I am very bad at sticking to it and most of the times I don't it causes me problems.

Just rise above it and focus on delivering high quality work and getting your next gig.

Comment

Originally posted by wantacontract View Post
                  My boss is useless and micromanages and gets things wrong, likes to threaten people, contractors and permies, etc, etc...the usual crap boss..

now is it worth kicking up a fuss and undermine his authority in a big meeting soon by showing him up over a couple of things or should I just park it because I am leaving soon....
                  Park it. You may not ever want to work there again right now, but if you work diligently and act fairly the others there will know that and will remember it. Your current boss may not stay there forever and if you kick up a stink the others will remember that instead of the good work you did.

I would work to leave a good impression and do my best to leave in good odour.

Boo

Comment

advice noted...have taken the decision to just keep head down and finish without making any ripples....

thanks everyone...

Comment

There seems to be more bad bosses than good bosses. Keep your head down, no point getting mad.

I find if you manage to keep your temper and rise above it you feel a lot better about the whole thing than if you get mad, not that I always do.

Currently dealing with a "moderately" difficult boss, good practice, though I haven't always managed to keep my cool
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X