• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever refused to carry out tasks not originally agreed when you started your contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever refused to carry out tasks not originally agreed when you started your contract?

I'm currently 4 months into a 6 month contract as a Senior PMO Analyst. Although my contract schedule was vague to say the least (something this very well known financial client refused to change, or should I say the agency I got the gig through) what I came in to do and took the contract for, I have been doing. In the last few days, the administrator has been off 'sick' but the general feeling is that due to constant absence etc. she is not coming back. Suddenly my manager has asked me if I can help and book a meeting room for someone. With what seems like no plans to take someone on (as my feeling is that I am being approached to do junior admin tasks that are not part of my remit) and is actually another role and by doing one thing the floodgates will be open and I will be expected to do more i.e. book travel, order stationary etc etc which my colleague or anyone else has been asked to do. I politely replied to say that I can't, understand the person is ill but this isn't basically what I signed up for or agreed to at the start. The fact is the job has been monotonous tulip, for the last 2 months and I desperately hate it! But with only 2 months to go and having to give 1 month's notice I'm feeling a bit stuck for a reason to leave. Am I a complete fool for refusing and jeopardising leaving on good terms by being seen as 'unhelpful' ? Anybody had the same experience and what happened?
    Last edited by ziggystardust; 12 November 2015, 21:51.

You are having a flounce over a speculative situation, it's simple, you hate it you don't renew.

HTH

Comment

There are limits and they have to be tested IMO. Nothing wrong with pointing it out but the result will be different at every client. There is no right not wrong answer.
      In your situation though you hate the gig anyway and you are in your final phase. I assume you won't be renewing. Forgetting all the D&C issues for a moment, causing a rumpus sounds like its just going to cause bad feeling and make the last 8 weeks even worse. I can't help think you need to do what you can without looking too eager and just count down the days to then end. 2 months isn't a long time and I presume it's preferable to benching yourself at the worst possible time of year.

I don't know the setup at your clients but could it be they are asking you because they can tell you hate the gig and will be leaving so winding you down?

I wouldn't normally advise people do this but IMO take it on the chin, taken your money and be ready in the New Year to find a new gig.

Edit : And FWIW, no offense to you, but I can't stand roles with the title 'Senior' in them. You shouldn't need it in your title if you really are the senior bod there. People will know you are. Not hard to unravel in an interview if it is just a title either which will hurt the chances of getting the gig.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 12 November 2015, 21:01.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Totally understand how u feel

Lloyds is tulip

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
          . Am I a complete fool for refusing and jeopardising leaving on good terms by being seen as 'unhelpful' ? Anybody had the same experience and what happened?
          Depends.

As a woman if people* ask me to do things like that I make sure I'm deliberately obtuse and unhelpful. If it's the type of company where other people pitch in with jobs like that then it's no big deal.

I actually worked as a permie in a multi-national that when they didn't have technical work for the new female graduate trainees they were all, apart from one who told them to f*** off, given admin work. None of the new male trainees were given admin tasks. (Luckily for them I wasn't one of the trainees and it was a male trainee who made a fuss about it.)

On one contact I did end up doing data entry to load up a system because the admin person was sick. I was amused as it was the most well-paid data entry I had ever done.

In your case if you can make the admin jobs more interesting e.g. actually taking a walk to check the actual real size of the meeting rooms, then you may as well do it. Though you can have fun on your last few days by doing stuff like ordering the wrong stationary.

*People as most men are aware that they shouldn't ask but some women in other roles make a beeline to ask another woman to do tulip like that.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Depends.

As a woman if people* ask me to do things like that I make sure I'm deliberately obtuse and unhelpful. If it's the type of company where other people pitch in with jobs like that then it's no big deal.

I actually worked as a permie in a multi-national that when they didn't have technical work for the new female graduate trainees they were all, apart from one who told them to f*** off, given admin work. None of the new male trainees were given admin tasks. (Luckily for them I wasn't one of the trainees and it was a male trainee who made a fuss about it.)

On one contact I did end up doing data entry to load up a system because the admin person was sick. I was amused as it was the most well-paid data entry I had ever done.

In your case if you can make the admin jobs more interesting e.g. actually taking a walk to check the actual real size of the meeting rooms, then you may as well do it. Though you caìn have fun on your last few days by doing stuff like ordering the wrong stationary.

*People as most men are aware that they shouldn't ask but some women in other roles make a beeline to ask another woman to do tulip like that.
            I agree with you. I'm a woman within a team of women who are all mothers with children which makes the situation worse. I know they have priorities, and no disrespect to mums in general, but it seems they also use their kids as a constant excuse to leave early, take numerous days off at short notice within a short period and expect me to cover. There was even a conversation about Christmas cover where it was strongly implied that as I don't have kids my personal time is less important. Even though my work is non critical to the company and 75% of the team will be off during this period I'm told I'm needed. The admin cover bit now feels like the last straw. What some may think is nothing to me I see these tasks as an insult, way below my capabilities and are being pushed onto me as no one else wants to do it ,and it would take over a month to get a replacement admin support. They talk about team work but I'm seriously cheesed off about this. I've been accommodating to my female boss throughout the time I've been there, spoken to quite poorly many times by one of them but my question is if this was a man would he put up with this or walk? Would you chaps? I've got my weekly call with my boss this morning, the day after this meeting room email which I said I couldn't help with and I know will go down like a lead balloon. Guys? ?
            Last edited by ziggystardust; 13 November 2015, 06:32.

Comment

Originally posted by ziggystardust View Post
              I agree with you. I'm a woman within a team of women who are all mothers with children which makes the situation worse. I know they have priorities, and no disrespect to mums in general, but it seems they also use their kids as a constant excuse to leave early, take numerous days off at short notice within a short period and expect me to cover. There was even a conversation about Christmas cover where it was strongly implied that as I don't have kids my personal time is less important. Even though my work is non critical to the company and 75% of the team will be off during this period I'm told I'm needed. The admin cover bit now feels like the last straw. What some may think is nothing to me I see these tasks as an insult, way below my capabilities and are being pushed onto me as no one else wants to do it ,and it would take over a month to get a replacement admin support. They talk about team work but I'm seriously cheesed off about this. I've been accommodating to my female boss throughout the time I've been there, spoken to quite poorly many times by one of them but my question is if this was a man would he put up with this or walk? Would you chaps? I've got my weekly call with my boss this morning, the day after this meeting room email which I said I couldn't help with and I know will go down like a lead balloon. Guys? ?

For me it always depends and I do tend to agree with NLUK on this one. Any contract is about a little bit of give and take, especially if you plan on accepting extensions if they are offered. In your case, as you're talking about not staying I'd be standing my ground as much as possible.

Although I understand you're rightly miffed about the situation at the moment, I don't think gender comes into it. It's more about how the team gels and I get the impression from your posts that it doesn't. Whatever the gender, people have different breaking points. I've known many male contractors take on every task they've been asked to do, even if it is outside the scope of the original project. I've been prepared to stand my ground when clients take the proverbial...

Given the frustration you're feeling, whether with the meeting rooms or the Christmas situation, only you know whether the situation is getting beyond what you're prepared to accept.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Edit : And FWIW, no offense to you, but I can't stand roles with the title 'Senior' in them. You shouldn't need it in your title if you really are the senior bod there. People will know you are. Not hard to unravel in an interview if it is just a title either which will hurt the chances of getting the gig.
              I agree with this. I'm amazed at how many contract software developers feel the need to put Senior in previous role titles.

Comment

Is there not a middle ground here where you can agree to do the task as a one-off but make it clear that it's not part of your role therefore the client needs to make other arrangements to cover this person's absence?

It's been said already but definitely a give-and-take scenario. Personally if you're near the end of the contract and don't plan to renew then I would be more inclined to stand my ground, not less, as you have less to lose in terms of possible extensions etc.

Comment

I have done both.

I tend to refuse, if it should be very much a perm duty.

For example, reviewing and administering system access, for example
                  I did it for one cycle, then raised it, as something a contractor should not be doing.
                  Unsure if it would have been against company policy, in any case and it just didn't feel right.

Obviously, there is a delicate balance here, between being helpful and being the office doormat / jack do all.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Suck your pride up & just do it but think about how much more money your getting for that low level task.

I have on contracts been asked to decom old server rooms thats not a pleasant job lots of dirt, dust & noise as you slowly pull alll the old cabling out. Not even an IT contractor job really but it was that or have my contract cancelled early.

They can give you just 1 weeks notice it might say 1 month on your contract if the client tells your agency we do not need you anymore the agency will offer a weeks notice & avoid upsetting the end client not you! Or they can simply ask you to take unpaid leave until the contract ends its going to be hard/expensive to fight that in court if it ever got that far if they have no work for you few tribunals will enforce your contract just because its your contract as long as they offer you 1 weeks notice you will find it hard to enforce your 2 remaining months left. Most IT contracts are only worth the paper they are printed on if you are prepared to enforce them in court (which will cost a lot of money if they fight it). Check the small print out thoroughly there is usually a clause which says if you refuse to do something it can lead to dismissal (perhaps the real reason they are asking you in the hope you leave & save them a bit of money for their xmas dinner or something!!).

Comment

Working...
                    X