• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting back into Contracting after Extended Leave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
    I have been contracting 15 yrs and took 6 months off at the start of this year, I have a solid skill set in all levels of I.T Support, but when I decided to make a come back it was hard, harder than I ever thought it would be. Agents wanted to know more and more about "how long have you been out" and why. Eventually I found my currrent gig but that was with contacts and having been here 3 times before. No agent involvement. The market has, and is changing rapidly these days. Gone of the days of the Friday night phone calls asking your availability, and playing "what rate you paying" with agents, Ohhhh for those days to return.
    Depends on your skill set and locations you can work in.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Depends on your skill set and locations you can work in.
      Exactly, you cannot comment as such, when discussing a support role.

Supply and demand, unfortunately, support roles have been subject to cuts / offshoring for years.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Regarding the extended recommendation to "cut your rates"... In my experience, this is very difficult, as the agency/recruiter will always try to send you for the top of the range, sometimes even more than you've asked initially (it literally happened to me). I guess it is because they get a cut % of the rate (not a fixed amount), so the more the better.

The moment you sound like you "want" to be sent for less, is the moment they realize you're not a good "investment" if they can send someone else for more

Comment

Working...
        X