• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Worthwhile/cheap certifications

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worthwhile/cheap certifications

Trend seems to be "Pay for our training course first and then we'll let you pay to do the exam". Not with my money.

Never been a huge fan of certifications in the past.... BUT

possible time on the bench pending so might as well do something useful. Don't mind paying for exams/books but obviously, funds are limited whilst on the bench.

Any recommendations? Areas are windows, exchange, vmware, unix, linux.

Was thinking vmware (the basic one is cheap to do online - £100?), maybe Red Hat (bit more expensive - you've got to do online at training centre).
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

What do think you're going to get for £100 that you couldn't get from googling for free?

Comment

Any certificate that's cheap isn't worthwhile as it can be gained by any idiot.

HTH.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Any certificate that's cheap isn't worthwhile as it can be gained by any idiot.

HTH.
        Along with any certificate that can be got through a 5 day "boot camp" or which comes with a guarenteed pass or your money back / free resit offer.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Most certs these days are like swimming badges given out to permies as an imaginary benefit. There are exceptions, CCIE for example, which have some value to them. My MCSE back in 2001 had some worth, today I wouldn't wipe my arse on most MS certs.

I too take issue with being expected to pay £3000 for a forced course in order to sit exams for £150 which I could pass with my eyes closed due to many years experience.
          So I don't do them and get hired anyway.

The whole certification mini-industry has sprung up as a result of this: want to do a cert? Be a permie and your employer will put you through the BS course on a special deal. It's a joke tbvfh.
          Last edited by LucidDementia; 12 November 2015, 10:32.
          I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

As a permie certs are worthwhile as its part of the package and gets you out of the office. They mean sweet FA though, as a contractor I don't think its worth the cost or time not invoicing TBH.

Comment

The best thing about certs is, some candidates plaster them all over their CV as badged graphics .

This is good for me, as those ones go straight in the bin.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                What do think you're going to get for £100 that you couldn't get from googling for free?
                No I mean the cost of the exam is £100 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  Along with any certificate that can be got through a 5 day "boot camp" or which comes with a guarenteed pass or your money back / free resit offer.
                  I dont disagree with you. Do a boot camp, manage to scrape exam, back in the office you'll have forgotten it all.

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                    As a permie certs are worthwhile as its part of the package and gets you out of the office. They mean sweet FA though, as a contractor I don't think its worth the cost or time not invoicing TBH.
                    I agree. Cost of doing the course as well is just nuts. Just thinking of things to do whilst on the bench....

Comment

Working...
                    X