• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

backstabbing, bitching, sucking up to the boss.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    Nail on head. This is exactly the issue.

Permie's need to be seen to bend over when it comes to extra time (often worked for free). If they don't, it gets noticed, promotions/bonuses get affected.

Management know this. They use this. They encourage this. (not everywhere is like this of course, but many places are)

They *could* try this with contractors too (but with extensions being the carrot) but most contractors aren't interested in these games.

I've only seen it once, and that was because of a particularly eager "we work 60 hours a week as standard" team in the US. "Why won't you contractors work late?" - there wasn't even a need to, they just wanted us to. Only one contractor bent over and accepted it. He ended up getting extended longer than the rest too, so maybe he got what he wanted.
    60 hours week and he gets same as me doing 37.5 hours per week. Call it £400 a day say. He gets to stay for 6 months I get canned after 3 months. Assume 60 days per quarter.

So he works 120 days at 12 hours per day = 1440 hours. 120 days at £400 = £48000. £33.33 per hour.

Me. 60 days at 7.5 hours per day = 450 hours. 60 days at £400 = £24000. £53.33 per hour.

Sorry I'd rather earn £24K over three months at £50+ per hour, then get something else rather than work myself to death for £48K over six months at £33 an hour.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mattski View Post
      Be Zen. Let it wash over you.

If the person whinging has no sway over your post, ignore it - what do they know? Set them straight if they start causing problems, or speak to the grownups there about it. If no grownups are present then it may be time to leave (or at least consider not renewing.)

If they do have influence over you then politely discuss the fact that you're in earlier than loads of other people, and if they still have a problem then chances are it's not the best place to work for anyway.

Here, have a haiku:

"Contractor does work
      Does not suffer fools gladly
      Cash is all they need"

or if you want to be a bit more exotic:

"Contractor is still.
      Leaves unfold in autumn bloom.
      Boss is a buffoon."
      quality, I like that..

Comment

I have to say I am not one to be there early in the morning....usually stroll in late and sometimes leave early...

but I always put in major time to get that project on budget and on time.....

as a result I get a lot of banter about it, I have to admit to me it's always been good nature banter and not that snidey sort.

I find at the beginning - - be on time, then set your stall out and once people know you can deliver and what you're like then there's no problems.

Comment

This sounds like every contract I have ever done for over 2 decades now!

Just MTFU you get well paid let it wash over you if it bothers you that much (it should'nt really but I know these things can build) then change your hours or leave.

I now adopt a strategy of staying through any awkward perm encounters & doing the work to such a high standard that the only way I will leave is if the budget runs out. It even gives me slightly more motivation to know I am withstanding the perm peer pressure. This way I annoy the usually annoying perms as they cannot say anything work wise (although most usually do regardless as they are born jealous but fail to realise the downsides of contracting inbetween contracts when the market is dire).

Contracting is always about politics & how you handle yourself if your good at what you do then the work will take care of itself. The only thing that really matters is if the person signing the timesheet is happy with you if not then time to leave ASAP anyone else treat with the contempt they deserve if thats how they want to treat you!!!

Comment

Bit of a change. Its gone on some from just banter.... By the way, this was the guy who signs the timesheets.

Took me in office for chat. Gave me the crap about "all in this together", "its been busy because x has left, y has moved onto this", "need to pull together for the good of the company", "put ourselves out". Then said it had been noticed I was only working minimum possible hours. Which is not true.

Nearly went off a bit. I think I'd proved in the past I'd stay put if it all went wrong but had been doing this sort of hours for over a year. Even had a discussion before last extension about bit more flex in hours. Must admit I was not pleased. Sound to me like hes wanting someone to work the extra hours for free because they are busy /have resource issues.

Am I right in thinking this? Fair enough do they job and put in a little extra after all but still. Sounds more like a perm gee-up to me to be honest. Went contract to avoid all this perm bulltulip, bullying, pressure crap. "good of the company" Are you insane fella? You company that you're an employee of and get bonuses, profit sharing etc etc. Im a contractor who gets paid to do a job.

Put out that this bloke is trying to tell me what hours to work and he wants extra. Not good for IR35.
            Strictly speaking my contract says pay per day but 37.5 hours per week. I know I always do at least this usually a bit more. But looks like others have made themselves look like they're doing more and for some reason I've been flagged up.

Thing is I can imagine they'll still offer me extension in few months. They'd be stuck otherwise I guess. Maybe not. Not sure if I want to be involved in this sort of tulipe on a regular basis.

One thing - no way will I cave in to this tulipe and do the extra for free just to look good. Cant see it ending well here at all.
            Like I said, if in month 1 this would have gone down I'd be like fair play, if thats what you want, sorry not for me no hard feelings, good luck with it and all. But over a year down the line and then try and up the stakes and make out Im a problem = taking the mick.

Comment

Start looking for another contract, hand in your notice and leave.

As:
              1 you are a contractor
              2 life is too short
              3 you can stop coming on here and whining
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If you think you have the CV to land another role fast & can compete with peers in the getting harder by the week contract job market then hand in your notice ASAP.

But by what you just posted it seems to me the client is testing your commitment if they have resource issues or not is actually your problem if you want to stay onsite & do another extension do not assume they will renew you just because your already there its an employers market they can easily get someone else & tell them at the start the hours are slightly longer as you opt out in the contract.

The longer hours chat is most likely a roundabout way of saying you want an extension then show us your commitment forget what the contract says if you really want to stay read between the lines!

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                  If you think you have the CV to land another role fast & can compete with peers in the getting harder by the week contract job market then hand in your notice ASAP.

But by what you just posted it seems to me the client is testing your commitment if they have resource issues or not is actually your problem if you want to stay onsite & do another extension do not assume they will renew you just because your already there its an employers market they can easily get someone else & tell them at the start the hours are slightly longer as you opt out in the contract.

The longer hours chat is most likely a roundabout way of saying you want an extension then show us your commitment forget what the contract says if you really want to stay read between the lines!
                  Mugs game this is. Once you start down this one its a slippery slope....

Comment

As I always say, tons of clients out there who just want a contractor who acts like a permie. Yes they know there is a difference but they just dont care sometimes.

Longer you're there the worse they get. Starts off slowly then sometimes gets to this sort of thing where they think of you like this.

I'll bet my arse though that 'someone' has moaned. Never underestimate a permies ability to act like a little girl if they think the big bad contractor is getting something they're not (i.e like contractor is seen to go home on time).

From the manager dudes point of view, he might be quite happy with you, and ready to keep you on but now hes got a whingy permie to deal with. If he can cajole/hassle you into working longer hours then permie stops moaning (maybe), he gets more work for his money, everyone happy (apart from contractor). Win-win for manager though.

Of course, contractor may say sod that you can stuff your extension but thats a chance manager takes. Balancing act....

Comment

I think that this is a really easy one to answer.

If your contract says that you need to be there 37.5 hours a week and they only pay you that amount then every hour extra you do is effectively lowering your hourly rate.

I'm taking a guess at day rate..

£400 / 7.5 hours = £53/h
                      £400 / 9 hours = £44/h (based on a 37.5 hour contract that puts your day rate at £330)

Are you willing to take almost a £70 a day pay cut just because some of the permies are doing an extra 1.5 hours a day? I know what my answer would be.

Comment

Working...
                      X