• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a Property question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
    So you buy the property personaly using a directors loan. What happens after 9 months after company year end when u need to pay it back and your money is locked away?
    You don't have to pay it back in that timeframe if you've got enough cash in the company to cover the s455 tax. You'll get the money back eventually once the loan is repaid.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      You don't have to pay it back in that timeframe if you've got enough cash in the company to cover the s455 tax. You'll get the money back eventually once the loan is repaid.
      Not sure I'd advise paying s455: it's 25% of the loan amount which can be a substantial sum, and won't prove easy/quick to get back from HMRC.

Best to only take a loan amount that you know you can repay before 9 months past the company year-end date.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        Not sure I'd advise paying s455: it's 25% of the loan amount which can be a substantial sum, and won't prove easy/quick to get back from HMRC.
        I'm aware of that, but like I said if YourCo has significant cash reserves it shouldn't have any effect on your cashflow. They money will be re-paid 9 months after the tax year in which the loan is re-paid. As long as you're aware of that then its not necessarily a big deal.

Assuming cashflow isn't an issue then the most important thing to watch out for is paying the correct amount of interest (or BIK tax, but interest is the best approach I think) on the loan if over £10k and I believe that strictly speaking a shareholders meeting is required for loans in excess of £15k (but a rather trivial point for a one man or family owned business).

Comment

Originally posted by seeourbee View Post
          You know what, forget it.

I asked a question here as I thought I'd get some professional respectable answers and advice.

Forget it.
          :

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            I'm aware of that, but like I said if YourCo has significant cash reserves it shouldn't have any effect on your cashflow. They money will be re-paid 9 months after the tax year in which the loan is re-paid. As long as you're aware of that then its not necessarily a big deal.

Assuming cashflow isn't an issue then the most important thing to watch out for is paying the correct amount of interest (or BIK tax, but interest is the best approach I think) on the loan if over £10k and I believe that strictly speaking a shareholders meeting is required for loans in excess of £15k (but a rather trivial point for a one man or family owned business).
            I didnt realise you got the tax refunded when you repay the loan. Obviously makes a huge difference.

Suspect accountants tell you not to bother as its more work for them
            "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
            Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              EDIT: with Osbourne's tax rape on individual BTL owners, you might want to research buying the property entirely under the company name. This is more for future-proofing under a more efficient tax shelter, but depends on your long term plan with regards to property.
              How ironic that this "might" be the better option going forwards when the consensus has historically been to take the money out of the business and buy it personally.

Comment

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
                I didnt realise you got the tax refunded when you repay the loan. Obviously makes a huge difference.

Suspect accountants tell you not to bother as its more work for them
                Yes. There's nothing wrong with taking director loans over longer periods of time. The charge is there to stop directors taking big loans and never paying them back.

Comment

Working...
                X