• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else suffering from a holiday lull?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    I am an Oracle DBA and been on the bench for 4 months now. Please let me know if anyone is hiring.
    This year has been really bad for contracting , never seen a bad market like this before.
    It feels like contracting is finished in this country. I only see permie jobs on jobserve paying 40-50k.
    It hasn't you just have to increase your skillset to administrate more databases.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I am an Oracle DBA and been on the bench for 4 months now. Please let me know if anyone is hiring.
      This year has been really bad for contracting , never seen a bad market like this before.
      It feels like contracting is finished in this country. I only see permie jobs on jobserve paying 40-50k.
      I don't think it is quite as bad - all the usual suspects in banking are hiring - I was put forth for HSBC, Barclays, Credit Suisse, RBS and few others who are not so prominent names over last 2/3 weeks- said no to few others due to rate, but people have been very picky - they want all sorts of combinations - in my case (Specific regulation initiative/data/agile/digital/implementation/ETL/Data Warehouse) and they want it done in the last year - perhaps each one is bidding their time to find 'the one'

Comment

Not looking at the moment but I am hearing there are a lot of permanent jobs around.

I would reserve any judgments about the market until further into September though.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          Not looking at the moment but I am hearing there are a lot of permanent jobs around.

I would reserve any judgments about the market until further into September though.
          I do not watch market as often as I should but there are always more permie jobs than contracts. About later in the month you mean for people to be back in the office?

Comment

Its all about managing your network, am in contract at the moment but not enjoying it so have arranged a new role to start when this one ends. Had a choice of local or London (paying 50% more) went local as CBA travelling anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by coe123 View Post
              Back to the topic... Some pick up in activity in last couple of days but clients/agents seem to be extremely picky - is there too much supply out there?
              I was out for the whole of March & April.

.Net stack market has been v slow this year.

About to become benched so hoping it's picked up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by coe123 View Post
                I do not watch market as often as I should but there are always more permie jobs than contracts. About later in the month you mean for people to be back in the office?
                Can't really comment on the ratio of permanent to contractor jobs,

Yes, would wait for people to get back to the office.

Comment

This sounds very familar sadly I hope the next 2-3 weeks picks up markedly otherwise I am going into less active job seeking mode. A lot of it is rate dependent & very picky employers plus many are still nervous about hiring due to financial markets turmoil.

I too have never seen a soft demand contract market like this before in the past there were always busy periods it seems like the market is saturated with a lot of inexperienced contractors who lower the rates & make the hiring more selective

Comment

Well that's the 1st & almost 2nd week of sept gone already with no obvious pickup.

I have a bad feeling its not going to change anytime soon. Agents I speak with tell me they are shocked its so quiet & some are even talking about agency layoffs soon if things do not improve

Comment

You could sign on in the meantime....

Schools have only been back a week and silly season just ended. It can only get better from here until December.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X