• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decisions decisions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vadhert View Post
    I like the being-on-the-edge-of-your-seat part of contracting
    The situation has been great, 10 miles from home, 7hr professional day, home at 4:30pm and work is fairly easy with no stress

XOR fail

Comment

The permies all work a 7hr day and the office is relaxed. One of the issues the client has is the quality of some of the permies compared to a seasoned contractor is vast.

Hence they made me the offer and want me to get them up to scratch.

Warchest can keep me going for 2 years before I'm broke and mortgage is around 300k outstanding on a 750k house.
      80k salary on a 300k mortgage. That would probably sway it towards contracting for me. But depends on the state of the contracting market in your sector. Also, I know nothing about your family situation, so haven't taken whatever that is into consideration.

On the other hand, if they upped their offer to say 95k and you wouldn't be working longer hours or with significantly greater responsibilities (ie, management), I'd probably take that.

Comment

80K is the limit I'm afraid.

The mortgage is done 50/50 with the other half however contracting will help pay lot off sooner.

I've had a good ride with this one but will probably incline towards moving on.

BTW Family situation is we are expecting and Mrs is taking a year off. Her thoughts are to ship me off back to the City to earn more as she will be at home with the bub.
        Last edited by vadhert; 6 August 2015, 09:02.
        Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Just some other things to consider... It will give you an opportunity to shut the company and get some tax savings when withdrawing the money which could up the net income from 6 months perm. Chance of training and possibly wrangling some more skills/training.
          Any benchtime between end of this gig and next will also serious dent the potential contract earnings you are planning in etc.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Her thoughts are to ship me off back to the City to earn more as she will be at home with the bub.
            Why have you even started the thread?
            She has already decided for you.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Just some other things to consider... It will give you an opportunity to shut the company and get some tax savings when withdrawing the money which could up the net income from 6 months perm. Chance of training and possibly wrangling some more skills/training.
              Any benchtime between end of this gig and next will also serious dent the potential contract earnings you are planning in etc.
              This has all come into mind NL
              Polishing a turd near you!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattZani View Post
                Why have you even started the thread?
                She has already decided for you.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

This has all come into mind NL
                  If you have children don't forget you will lose £2k or so in child benefit... Not that it should affect you decision but its something many people seem to forget...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

80K is the limit I'm afraid.

The mortgage is done 50/50 with the other half however contracting will help pay lot off sooner.

I've had a good ride with this one but will probably incline towards moving on.

BTW Family situation is we are expecting and Mrs is taking a year off. Her thoughts are to ship me off back to the City to earn more as she will be at home with the bub.
                    I think you should take the permie position, you will have a stable platform, close to home, enjoy your family bro. £80k is loads of dosh in the real world. Take it.
                    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      If you have children don't forget you will lose £2k or so in child benefit... Not that it should affect you decision but its something many people seem to forget...
                      ??

edit: oh, because he's only earning 43k as a contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X