• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Assumed extensions - when is it cool to tell client no thanks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    So, as I said originally, you can't turn an extension down until it exists in the first place.
    Agreed. That would be nonsensical. But you can advise the client in advance if you believe they will renew and you intend not to.

I am in that position now. I am certain the client will renew all contractors here and I have been renewed many times. But I wish to leave at the end of the current term. I will therefore email the agent politely saying "please be aware I will not be seeking a renewal at the end of the current contract term", or similar. This doesn't presume anything and is sensible IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
      Agreed. That would be nonsensical. But you can advise the client in advance if you believe they will renew and you intend not to.

I am in that position now. I am certain the client will renew all contractors here and I have been renewed many times. But I wish to leave at the end of the current term. I will therefore email the agent politely saying "please be aware I will not be seeking a renewal at the end of the current contract term", or similar. This doesn't presume anything and is sensible IMO.
      Thats fine then. Can see no problem with this really. Think I would tell the client directly though as well.

It becomes difficult when you're thinking, I dont really want to stay, would prefer to go somewhere else, but don't want to bail and bench myself. Maybe its having your cake and eating it a bit!
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
        It becomes difficult when you're thinking,
        Ahh now we are getting to the root of your problems
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My current "agency" is a consultancy and I start my second 2 month stint next Monday, I have already received an email saying that it is very likely I will be offered another role in the same end Client after that.

Talk about early, I've not even started my current extension!!
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I dont really want to stay, would prefer to go somewhere else, but don't want to bail and bench myself
            I have felt this in a lot of contracts the easy decision ones where I'm happy to stay or definitely want to go are great but more fall in that grey area inbetween where really I would like to go if I could line something else up but I could grin and bare it for longer if need be rather than put myself on the bench.

In these I always hope the company leaves it till the last minute to offer a renewal to give me a chance to find something else to have the option.
            Last edited by curtis; 5 August 2015, 12:35. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
              I have felt this in a lot of contracts the easy decision ones where I'm happy to stay or definitely want to go are great but more fall in that grey area inbetween where really I would like to go if I could line something else up but I could grin and bare it for longer if need be rather than put myself on the bench.

In these I always hope the company leaves it till the last minute to offer a renewal to give me a chance to find something else to have the option.
              I don't think standing there with an inane grin on and your bits hanging out would get you anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                My current "agency" is a consultancy and I start my second 2 month stint next Monday, I have already received an email saying that it is very likely I will be offered another role in the same end Client after that.

Talk about early, I've not even started my current extension!!
                Make sure that your contract and extensions are worded correctly so that deliverables are changed.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I don't think standing there with an inane grin on and your bits hanging out would get you anywhere.
                  Done very well for Ron Jeremy
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Done very well for Ron Jeremy
                    Didn't work out so well for John Holmes in the end....

Comment

I have been contracting 15 years, I have done the distance jobs, tend not to like to travel to much these days, HOWEVER this year (I am told due to the election its been a bad year for me in I.T. very slow) so I am back contracting for an large corporate bank the point being its 54 miles from where I live, so 108 miles a day round trip. Its the 4th time I have worked here, never left on bad terms The rate gets lower everytime I make a start here, best of it is I have to get up at 4.30 am to get here for 6.30am on the days I start at that time, on site for 9 hrs, NEVER burn bridges, The job got me out the Sh1t, I absolutely hate the commute but its got to be done, and unless anything local crops up I am here until the end of the year.

Comment

Working...
                      X