• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit Stealers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit Stealers

In a peculiar situation. I started the contract in this organisation three months ago.

Whenever I present an idea, immediately - within few minutes literally - this lady takes the idea to the higher ups and discusses as though the idea was her suggestion. Another guy provides "briefs" to the higher ups, mainly from my ideas, but never even mention my name as the one who originally provided the idea. Another guy, who is not having any big talent, does not take any initiative on his own, but after I come out with any new idea, tries to belittle the effort saying this was normal approach in many organisations, but follows my approach anyway.

Realising their attitude, I decided to reserve my ideas until wider meeting took place, and I presented my points to a larger team, where senior stakeholders were present. Now these guys are crying foul that I did not discuss these ideas with the project team before presenting to the larger audience.

In order to sabotage my performance, now they are delaying or suppressing critical project information from me, and also cleverly excluding me from important meetings, so my project information is out of date.

Any suggestion on how the above situation can be tackled?
    Last edited by Abraham; 2 August 2015, 07:30.

Originally posted by Abraham View Post
    In a peculiar situation. I started the contract in this organisation three months ago.

Whenever I present a technical idea, immediately - within few minutes literally - she takes the idea to the higher ups and discusses as though the idea was her suggestion. Another guy provides "briefs" to the higher ups, mainly from my ideas, but never even mention my name as the one who originally provided the idea. Another guy, who is not having any big talent, does not take any initiative, but after I come out with any new idea, tries to belittle the effort saying this was normal approach in many organisations, but follows my approach anyway.

Realising their attitude, I decided to reserve my ideas until wider meeting took place, and I presented my points to a larger team, where senior stakeholders were present. Now these guys are crying foul that I did not discuss these ides with the project team before presenting to the larger audience.

In order to sabotage my performance, now they are delaying or suppressing critical project information from me, and also cleverly excluding me from important meetings, so my project information is out of date.

Do they pay on time?

You're a contractor, you're there to provide skills and expertise. Give it to them and keep invoicing.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Do they pay on time?

You're a contractor, you're there to provide skills and expertise. Give it to them and keep invoicing.
      Thanks Cojak. Yes, they pay on time.

The thing is the guys who are stealing credit for my work also are contractors. It seems they want to stabilise their positions for further renewals. I too would like to be recognised for my contributions, which may help to get my own contract renewal.

Comment

Thanks Cojak. Yes, they pay on time.

The thing is the guys who are stealing credit for my work also are contractors. It seems they want to stabilise their positions for further renewals. I too would like to be recognised for my contributions, which may help to get my own contract renewal.
        Ah, 'fellow' contractors, eh?

Then I would give them the info in written form and cc the permie manager.

Also don't wait for invitations to meeting you think you should be attending, just turn up and sit down.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

This makes me giggle a little when people say being a contractor removes you from office politics. Does it ****!

IMO, its going to be very hard to tackle this situation because the 'other' contractors are clearly out to make themselves indespensable and cement their position in the organisation.

If you're not being kept in the loop as regards current project info any ideas you have will also likely be out of time.

TBH, Id just keep my ideas to myself and if these other contractors say you arent contributing, I'll tell them that's because they are and have been presenting your ideas to others as their own and not giving you the credit.

Id also start looking for another role because the place you work at sounds crap.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

What does it matter. You'll be moving on soon. You don't get promotions, pay rises or anything like that so not sure what you are expecting to gain from it. I can imagine it's a tad annoying but I don't think I'd be rocking the boat just to prove it was my idea bearing in mind there is little or no reward for it. Deliver good work and invoice on I'd say.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              TBH, Id just keep my ideas to myself and if these other contractors say you arent contributing, I'll tell them that's because they are and have been presenting your ideas to others as their own and not giving you the credit.

Id also start looking for another role because the place you work at sounds crap.
              Roger that.
              Clarity is everything

Comment

Stop playing permie games of office politics. You are there not to earn some promotion or good boy points. Keep your head down, do your work, keep invoicing.

Comment

What matters as a contractor is to be valued by immediate colleagues and the PM. Anyone above them will not have any input nor any interest other than to sign the PO. Being credited with any ideas is therefore rather pointless.

As a contractor you interest is being indispensible to your colleagues and the PM not their superiors.

If this sort of thing niggles then contracting might not be the best route. As a contractor you provide a service for lower end of the organisation and they get credit for listening and taking on board your ideas. In return you get paid.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    What matters as a contractor is to be valued by immediate colleagues and the PM. Anyone above them will not have any input nor any interest other than to sign the PO. Being credited with any ideas is therefore rather pointless.

As a contractor you interest is being indispensible to your colleagues and the PM not their superiors.

If this sort of thing niggles then contracting might not be the best route. As a contractor you provide a service for lower end of the organisation and they get credit for listening and taking on board your ideas. In return you get paid.
                    When the PM and the colleagues all are contractors, each one has his/her own agenda and interest - showing they are indispensable to the project. In that process, whoever they want to get rid of the project, they want to make him/her appear less important, by suppressing the valuable contributions made by him/her and by suppressing or delaying key project information. One of these guys come from a company that supplies contract consultants, so he has an interest to remove me and bring a person from his parent company.

The situation is - the people above are responsible for contract extensions.
                    Last edited by Abraham; 2 August 2015, 21:19.

Comment

Working...
                    X