+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 45
  1. #1

    Ddraig Goch


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    8,932
    Thanks (Given)
    88
    Thanks (Received)
    156
    Likes (Given)
    1068
    Likes (Received)
    498

    Default Client accidentally told me rate they pay - weird conversation.

    Not the first time this has happened in the past....

    Anyway, client manager whos a decent fella sent me the confirmation to confirm my extension was sorted but it displayed the rate they pay not the one I get. So I found out the margin. Pleased it was pretty ok to be honest.

    So I told the guy - look you probably shouldn't be showing me that one because it shows me your rate. He didn't realise I got less than this so I told him. Out of interest, he asked me what agency provided with this money - umm nothing apart from paying my invoices for me. He thought they provided sick/holiday pay out of this or something.

    Hes gone off now muttering about agency getting hundreds of pounds a week for **** all. Oh dear....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

  2. #2

    TripleIronDad

    BrilloPad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    94,722
    Thanks (Given)
    18702
    Thanks (Received)
    4968
    Likes (Given)
    18702
    Likes (Received)
    8685

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    Not the first time this has happened in the past....

    Anyway, client manager whos a decent fella sent me the confirmation to confirm my extension was sorted but it displayed the rate they pay not the one I get. So I found out the margin. Pleased it was pretty ok to be honest.

    So I told the guy - look you probably shouldn't be showing me that one because it shows me your rate. He didn't realise I got less than this so I told him. Out of interest, he asked me what agency provided with this money - umm nothing apart from paying my invoices for me. He thought they provided sick/holiday pay out of this or something.

    Hes gone off now muttering about agency getting hundreds of pounds a week for **** all. Oh dear....
    They found you the contract. They pay you before they get paid. They have the risk that they will not get paid. Some organizations believe that having an agency stops them being liable for having their contractors claim they are employees.

    Have I just agreed with DA?

    Banks always insist agencies take a set margin.
    Katy Perry - don't be afraid to catch feels. Taylor Swift - feels $1 a go.

  3. #3

    Contractor Among Contractors

    unixman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,244
    Thanks (Given)
    20
    Thanks (Received)
    40
    Likes (Given)
    126
    Likes (Received)
    216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    They found you the contract. They pay you before they get paid. They have the risk that they will not get paid. Some organizations believe that having an agency stops them being liable for having their contractors claim they are employees.
    Not entirely. They pass the non-payment risk on to you with a clause in the contract saying you won't get paid if they don't.

    Agencies getting paid ongoing for apparently doing little (ongoing) (once the contract is in place) is a bit of a thing. It's a different industry, but Foxtons the letting agents recently lost a case for charging landlords in a similar way, leading to a change in the law. However their contracts were consumer, or something, whereas ours are B2B.

  4. #4

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    51
    Likes (Given)
    265
    Likes (Received)
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    Not the first time this has happened in the past....

    Anyway, client manager whos a decent fella sent me the confirmation to confirm my extension was sorted but it displayed the rate they pay not the one I get. So I found out the margin. Pleased it was pretty ok to be honest.

    So I told the guy - look you probably shouldn't be showing me that one because it shows me your rate. He didn't realise I got less than this so I told him. Out of interest, he asked me what agency provided with this money - umm nothing apart from paying my invoices for me. He thought they provided sick/holiday pay out of this or something.

    Hes gone off now muttering about agency getting hundreds of pounds a week for **** all. Oh dear....
    I wonder if your contract has a clause that says you can't do this for this exact reason?

  5. #5

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,707
    Thanks (Given)
    362
    Thanks (Received)
    1215
    Likes (Given)
    3508
    Likes (Received)
    3024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unixman View Post
    Not entirely. They pass the non-payment risk on to you with a clause in the contract saying you won't get paid if they don't.
    And that's one reason not to opt out.
    Best Forum Advisor, 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  6. #6

    Banned


    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    54
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psychocandy View Post
    Not the first time this has happened in the past....

    Anyway, client manager whos a decent fella sent me the confirmation to confirm my extension was sorted but it displayed the rate they pay not the one I get. So I found out the margin. Pleased it was pretty ok to be honest.

    So I told the guy - look you probably shouldn't be showing me that one because it shows me your rate. He didn't realise I got less than this so I told him. Out of interest, he asked me what agency provided with this money - umm nothing apart from paying my invoices for me. He thought they provided sick/holiday pay out of this or something.

    Hes gone off now muttering about agency getting hundreds of pounds a week for **** all. Oh dear....
    Out of interest what wa sthe percentage rate the agency were taking?

  7. #7

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    32,422
    Thanks (Given)
    131
    Thanks (Received)
    1231
    Likes (Given)
    1641
    Likes (Received)
    5596

    Default

    So what's the story here? Your client manager is an utter moron? Anything else that stops this from being in general?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  8. #8

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,049
    Thanks (Given)
    33
    Thanks (Received)
    89
    Likes (Given)
    649
    Likes (Received)
    713

    Default

    Am direct with current client, just started. Agency also pinged me about the same role, top rate they were offering was 50 quid a day less than I'm getting. I declined

  9. #9

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,707
    Thanks (Given)
    362
    Thanks (Received)
    1215
    Likes (Given)
    3508
    Likes (Received)
    3024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Your client manager is an utter moron?
    I assumed that was a given
    Best Forum Advisor, 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  10. #10

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    32,422
    Thanks (Given)
    131
    Thanks (Received)
    1231
    Likes (Given)
    1641
    Likes (Received)
    5596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I assumed that was a given
    That's harsh. PC might have nailed his interview...
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.