• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CV Review services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure it can't do any harm, but IMHO it depends what you do and who's reading your CV, if its technically literate people looking for specific skills then I think you'd be better talking to an experienced agent or a techy manager who looks at a lot of CVs. That CV is about packing in your buzz words and experience as quickly and neatly as possible, and that CV probably breaks some of the generic rules. I'm getting quite a few LinkedIn emails from agents and end clients with genuine jobs just because I've updated my buzzwords, and their searches are picking it up. If you are dealing with non techie managers and HR people then its possibly a different ball game and maybe the review could be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      The reason you haven't secured a second contract is that you aren't seen by agencies as an experienced enough contractor.

If they have you and someone who has clearly a few contracts under their belt they put the other person forward.

One trick is to write your permanent work so it looks more like contracts. This is easier to do if you didn't spend over 3 years at your last permanent workplace.
      Thanks for the advice SueEllen - I'll try that although I was at my last place 18 years so might struggle but its worth a go

Comment

Originally posted by Fifer72 View Post
        Thanks for the advice SueEllen - I'll try that although I was at my last place 18 years so might struggle but its worth a go
        Split it up on a project by project basis if that's possible, with bold header and dates against each chunk, select the more marketable ones if there are loads of them.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Will have to check out those webinars.

I've just had one review back from one of the free services. Quite generic responses really. Scored about 50% on content and layout. Having a look at the CV writing section on this site seems to be more useful though.

Comment

CV Review services

I had a bad experience of them. I went with a w we.thefullercv.com - Fuller CV and they were expensive, unprofessional and very poor.

Avoid at all costs.

Comment

Originally posted by LardOrSteel View Post
              Thanks for the replies. Will have to check out those webinars.

I've just had one review back from one of the free services. Quite generic responses really. Scored about 50% on content and layout. Having a look at the CV writing section on this site seems to be more useful though.
              The people reviewing the CV are extremely unlikely to work in your field let alone IT. You can get more useful advice from an agent who works in your field.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
              X