• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company phone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company phone

Hi,

Does anyone have any good company deals for mobile contracts or do you use PAYG?

Thanks

VC

I pay T-mobile £10 a month or something on a company SIM only deal.

That's good for the amount that I use my phone for, but whether it fits your requirements is a different matter.

You may be better off buying the phone as a company asset and then getting a personal SIM only deal to put in it instead.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
      Hi,

Does anyone have any good company deals for mobile contracts or do you use PAYG?

Thanks

VC
      Make sure you ask them if VAT is included.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Mobile phone deals depend on your use and when you got the deal.

A lot of people I personally know whether personal or business customers own their own handset. Everyone is on different sim only deals due to what was on offer by one of their preferred providers when they signed up and how they use the phone.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Buy handset with cash on the company card, buy personal sim only monthly deal on company account by direct debit. Set company name as first line of address so it appears on bills. Submit with your company expenses per month. Done!
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            Buy handset with cash on the company card, buy personal sim only monthly deal on company account by direct debit. Set company name as first line of address so it appears on bills. Submit with your company expenses per month. Done!
            Be interesting to know if that would stand up in an inspection. If contract is a personal one and the company pays you could face a bill for unpaid BIK taxes. Not sure HMIT would buy the whole "but my company name is in the correspondence address" argument. It's who the contract is with that matters.

Comment

Buy handset with cash on the company card
              How does that work - cash on a card?

buy personal sim only monthly deal on company account by direct debit. Set company name as first line of address so it appears on bills. Submit with your company expenses per month. Done!
              You will be if HMRC were to look closely

The expenses guide makes it very clear the the contract must be in the name of the company. Not you personally with the company paying for it. Not you personally with the company name as the first line of the address. For the sake of the few quid a month is might save, why bother?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                Be interesting to know if that would stand up in an inspection. If contract is a personal one and the company pays you could face a bill for unpaid BIK taxes. Not sure HMIT would buy the whole "but my company name is in the correspondence address" argument. It's who the contract is with that matters.
                Agree with TCP on this point - it sounds like you are attempting to make your phone bills appear to be something that else in order to obtain tax relief.

Comment

As has been pointed out before, business plans are no longer 3x the cost of personal plans. On Vodafone, for example, the personal and business plans are identical in basic cost - the business plans are posted net of VAT, while personal plans gross.

The other point to consider - my old accountant advised me to buy my handset as an expense. When I moved accountants the new guy said it was better to treat it as a company asset. I don't know what the resident accountants here think about using either way, but my handsets are now company assets each time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                    As has been pointed out before, business plans are no longer 3x the cost of personal plans. On Vodafone, for example, the personal and business plans are identical in basic cost - the business plans are posted net of VAT, while personal plans gross.
                    Absolutely. I did a transfer of ownership to the company through Vodafone and the cost is exactly the same.

The other point to consider - my old accountant advised me to buy my handset as an expense. When I moved accountants the new guy said it was better to treat it as a company asset. I don't know what the resident accountants here think about using either way, but my handsets are now company assets each time.
                    Interesting one this. Exactly the same happened to me. SJD moved it to an asset.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X