• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much rate rise to cover no expensese after 2 year rule kicks in?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much rate rise to cover no expensese after 2 year rule kicks in?

Complaining about the 24 month rule is like complaining over the bedroom tax; you're not losing out, you're just winning slightly less than you used to. You're still on top.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

This is how your negotiation will go:

Agent: I have your extension here, will you accept?

Contractor: Only for an extra few quid.

Agent: No.

Contractor: Ok, I accept.

Comment

I renewed at end of March to take me over the 24 months. It never even crossed my mind to ask for a rise on these grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
          I renewed at end of March to take me over the 24 months. It never even crossed my mind to ask for a rise on these grounds.
          And are you now claiming expenses?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Has anyone EVER managed to get client to agree to this based on contractor explaining the 24 month rule to them?

Can just see it.

Contractor: Thing is for 2 years I've managed not to pay tax on all my travelling costs and saved myself couple of £100 a month in tax.

Client: You mean travel to work like us permies pay for out our net salary? That must be nice for you.

Contractor: Yes. Thing is I want £x per day to cover this or I'll be worse off.

Client: So you've been here 2 years, getting x times more than the permies, you've been milking the tax system, and now its over you want us to pay more?

Contractor: Yes please.

(BTW. Not saying I agree with this conversation but this is how client may think rightly or wrongly. 90% IMHO seem to think the start rate is the rate forever).
            Not saying you should be explaining the reasons for the %age increase you're after to the client/pimp, they don't need to know the reasons why.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              And are you now claiming expenses?
              No.

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie252 View Post
                Nope, the £1,000 is currently pre tax

To get £1,000 post tax he needs to earn an extra £666.66 or £33.33/day
                True, it has to be "grossed up".

Meanwhile, the company profit increases by £1000 a month, so corporation tax goes up by £200. Your company is worse off by £200 and you are worse off by £666. (all other things assumed equal)

So is the answer 886/20 = £44.30 ?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Has anyone EVER managed to get client to agree to this based on contractor explaining the 24 month rule to them?

Can just see it.

Contractor: Thing is for 2 years I've managed not to pay tax on all my travelling costs and saved myself couple of £100 a month in tax.

Client: You mean travel to work like us permies pay for out our net salary? That must be nice for you.

Contractor: Yes. Thing is I want £x per day to cover this or I'll be worse off.

Client: So you've been here 2 years, getting x times more than the permies, you've been milking the tax system, and now its over you want us to pay more?

Contractor: Yes please.

(BTW. Not saying I agree with this conversation but this is how client may think rightly or wrongly. 90% IMHO seem to think the start rate is the rate forever).
                  Didn't work for me when I tried it...I don't think clients give a stuff about this tbh, whether you explain it or not to them. Luckily my client has other sites which I need to go to...so happy to claim mileage/subsistence on those occasions.
                  Clarity is everything

Comment

Why not ask to work 2 days on site, 3 days at home. Then the 24 month rule doesn't apply.
                    "take me to your leader"

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                      Didn't work for me when I tried it...I don't think clients give a stuff about this tbh, whether you explain it or not to them. Luckily my client has other sites which I need to go to...so happy to claim mileage/subsistence on those occasions.
                      True. but the client and/or agency might find it more convenient to agree to a small rate increase than have the expense and bother of finding and hiring a new contractor (who might charge the higher amount anyway), then waiting while he gets up to speed on the client systems.

Obviously your request must include a real intention to leave (not renew). They aren't going to give you something for nothing.
                      Last edited by unixman; 15 April 2015, 13:45. Reason: bloomin touch typing

Comment

Working...
                      X