• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ending contract early

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaaaaanyway.... Id be interested to here how this went for the Op. Any update?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
      You would be surprised at the number of family emergencies or sickness in the last week of contract - client probably heard it many times before so don't believe you
      This.

Comment

Surprising the client would take this attitude in the circumstances. A medical emergency trumps all. That is why it is called an emergency. Not sure why the client would choose to disbelieve the OP. Perhaps there is more to this story than meets the eye.

Going forward, the OP could always offer to come back for a few days in the near future, taking a few days off from his new contract. IR35 friendly too.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Aaaaaanyway.... Id be interested to here how this went for the Op. Any update?
          No particular update, I emailed the agent to set out the situation plainly, said how sorry I was, and that I could provide evidence of the emergency if that would make things go better.

Some more info - my contract was due to finish in 2 weeks, but I gave my week's notice on Friday, so I don't blame them for being suspicious really (if that is what has happened).
          The project is rather a big one, involving dozens of developers, and everyone is due to finish on April 10th. I wasn't enjoying the environment, although I think I was doing a decent job for them, and the agent said they were pleased with my work.

I suppose I could offer to come in next week and work instead to smooth things over, but my wife will still be recovering, and my kids will still be on holiday for half term, so it isn't that suitable.

On the whole I would rather focus on finding my next contract in a couple of weeks time, but if they come back to me I might try this route.

I've been contracting 16 years and never had this kind of reaction from a client before though.

Comment

I forgot about the holidays as well which will make them even more suspicious of your motives.

I think it will become more common place as contracting becomes the defacto standard for IT guys to make a living and for companies to resource skills i am afraid. Plenty more mercenaries in screwing clients over etc...
            Last edited by northernladuk; 31 March 2015, 16:25.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Had something similar.

Wife was due early Feb, contract was due to finish end of Jan. Baby decided to come early, wifes waters went on a Saturday night. I phoned the person who signed my timesheets first thing on the Monday morning, client was very understanding. I contacted the agent as I had a clause in the contract that I must notify them before 1000 on the first morning etc etc Agent was fine.

It did help that the project had been delivered on time in December too

I have now been asked to return to the same client (via the same agent) to work/consult on another project.

Comment

Originally posted by jazza View Post
                No particular update, I emailed the agent to set out the situation plainly, said how sorry I was, and that I could provide evidence of the emergency if that would make things go better.
                Maybe send them the medical report anyway, and to the client. It may lead to a change if heart on their part, even embarrassment.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I forgot about the holidays as well which will make them even more suspicious of your motives.

I think it will become more common place as contracting becomes the defacto standard for IT guys to make a living and for companies to resource skills i am afraid. Plenty more mercenaries in screwing clients over etc...
                  And there's your answer. Holidays are also coming up, the OP didn't like the contract & he has childcare issues & isn't willing to do a few extra days, so I think the agency is bang on with breach of contract regardless of the excuse he's dreamt up for the first two parts.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    And there's your answer. Holidays are also coming up, the OP didn't like the contract & he has childcare issues & isn't willing to do a few extra days, so I think the agency is bang on with breach of contract regardless of the excuse he's dreamt up for the first two parts.
                    bizarre post, I don't recall saying I wasn't going to make the time up. In point of fact I have offered to work for them next week to make the time up to them as I consider myself a professional and would prefer to move onto my next contract with a clear conscience.

I do feel that my wife having emergency surgery is a rather good reason to have a few days off though, and would treat anyone who worked for me with some sympathy.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                      Maybe send them the medical report anyway, and to the client. It may lead to a change if heart on their part, even embarrassment.
                      I sent them the discharge notes. The agency have been fine about it all actually, it is the client who are giving them a hard time.

Comment

Working...
                      X