• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does mileage clock reset with new consultant but the same client?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OP
    My accountant says Yes but I'm not 100% sure
    Originally posted by NLUK
    PS.. Sack your accountant.. Now!!
    Exactly what I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
      Right, changing agency won't make any difference, if indeed you can do that at all. You're still working in the same place and still making the same journey to work. In fact, even if you get another contract in a similar location it might not make any difference, according to What is the 24 Month Rule? - Contractor Weekly, HMRC can “ignore a change of workplace if that change does not have any substantial effect on the employee's journey to work". (although I'm not sure what they mean by "substantial")

So basically if you're in any one location for more than 24 months, and in fact I believe that it's as soon as you know you'll be there for more than 24 months, you won't be able to claim travel expenses. And switching from driving to getting the train won't get around it either, because it's still travel expenses, just in a different format. You can still get your company to reimburse you for train tickets, but you won't be able to offset it against tax.
      And AIUI, a BIK as the Co is reimbursing you for what is now personal travel which I'd guess would be a rather more punitive charge than the loss of tax relief for the Co.

I think....

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
        Exactly what I thought.
        Given the questions the OP is asking, Id say the accountant is of the same ilk. In other words, hasnt a clue what they're talking about.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
        X