• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edinburgh and Bristol

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrumpyContractor View Post
    Based on a direct comparison to things you like about Edinburgh, in my personal opinion Bristol offers:
    - Cannot get a 4-5 bed family home for about 400k in a nice area a few miles from the High Street (Bristol, particularly Clifton and Redland prices will soon skyrocket when / if a high speed rail network is granted for Bristol – London)
    Prices will skyrocket? Aren't they in the straosphere in those areas anyway?
    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
    "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
      They are higher than the surrounding areas, but the places north of Bristle and closer to the new rail links will go up to match.

Sensible people don't live in crowded cities, when there are some fabulous villages within ten miles; cheaper house process with sensible garden areas, neighbours that talk to you, greenery everywhere, generally way better quality of life and better schools.

Guess where I live...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        They are higher than the surrounding areas, but the places north of Bristle and closer to the new rail links will go up to match.

Sensible people don't live in crowded cities, when there are some fabulous villages within ten miles; cheaper house process with sensible garden areas, neighbours that talk to you, greenery everywhere, generally way better quality of life and better schools.

Guess where I live...
        I live in the city and have all those things. PLUS I can walk to the butchers, bakers, fishmongers etc.
        "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
        "See?"

Comment

I live in the city and have all those things. PLUS I can walk to the butchers, bakers, fishmongers etc.
          Maybe. Doesn't mean you are sensible though!

As for walking to the shops, I have mine delivered...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Guess where I live...
            I like the sound of it, but would it be feasible for someone who doesn't drive/own a car?

From the sounds of it, I am guessing Edinburgh is the better of the two cities for someone in that scenario. I intend on checking both cities out as potential emigration destinations, mostly with a view to rent rather than buy at present.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
              I like the sound of it, but would it be feasible for someone who doesn't drive/own a car?

From the sounds of it, I am guessing Edinburgh is the better of the two cities for someone in that scenario. I intend on checking both cities out as potential emigration destinations, mostly with a view to rent rather than buy at present.
              If you don't drive, then your options are limited. I am precisely 6.5 miles from SWMBO's workplace in the centre of town; it would take three buses and over an hour to get there. While the idiot council is determined to make Bristol car free, it has done nothing to offer alternatives. The bus routes are mostly radial and basically useless outside the centre of town. You can only get taxis from defined ranks (legally, at least). The Park and Rides now close at 18:00, so anyone with half a serious job can't use them. The city is supposedly the most cycle-friendly in the country; sadly nobody has told the planners or the other road users that yet.

Finally I don't know about Edinburgh, but Bristol doesn't have a single location for its main employers; they are scattered randomly across the whole city. OK if you're a permie and can locate either close to work or along a suitable bus route, hopeless otherwise.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

They are among the highest in the City at present, yes.

The analysts are saying, given the period of the buildings in Clifton / Redland, you can have a similarly apportioned and styled building to that of Chelsea / Westminster for a fraction of the cost.

Twin that with a high speed rail link and it’s a no brainer.

Higher demand for housing - prices go up.

Simples

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post

Do a 1 day CBT - £90 and actually, quite good fun.

Buy a £500 hairdryer powered by 11 furious Japanese horses.

Park anywhere that takes your fancy for free, cyclists particularly enjoy it when you share bycycle storage with them.

Enjoy outrageously cheap and fast Bristol Motoring.

Comment

I have lived in Bristol for 40 odd years apart from when not away on work.
                    If you have any specific questions then send me a note.

The "best" parts of Bristol are generally North / West.

Henleaze, Westbury-on-Trym (parts of), Horfield (parts of), Clifton, Stoke Bishop.
                    The water front is quite popular as near the centre and trendy but not as good overall as the above, depending on your age and the number of children.

The area of Henleaze to Clifton is the best because it is quite central, lots of open spaces and good schools.

Houses will differ in price from £400,000 ( BS9 4PH) to well over 1 million ( Clifton ) plus for a house.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardgrafter View Post
                      Bristol is probably the best city to live in England if you can afford it and London is too hectic for you.
                      Yes I agree with that. I have lived in many places in the UK during my contracting work and Bristol is actually a very nice place to live. However, it does have to be in one of the nice areas. Having said that though, even most of the not so nice areas are not too bad.

I would not spend much time in either Easton or Knowle West though and in St. Pauls you would have to keep your wits about you.

So, North West area of the city, where all of the motorways join, which does not sound very nice but it is.

Comment

Working...
                      X