• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Canada - getting a job from the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Canada - getting a job from the UK

Over the past week I've been researching ways in which I could work in Canada, which include immigrating on a permanent residence basis, or being hired as a temporary foreign worker.

Does anyone here have any experience of trying to get a contract position in Canada? Obvious limiting factors would seem to be the paperwork Canadian employers have to go through in order to prove they cannot find Canadians to do the job, but hearing from anyone who has been through this would be useful. Worth a shot I figure.

Meanwhile my research continues!

Thanks in advance...

You can't contract on on a temporary work permit as it's tied to a specific employer at a certain location. You'l need to be a permanent resident at the minimum.

Also, the tax rules differ vs the Uk. In some instances there's no tax benefit to incorporating as self emplpoyed.

Comment

I looked - found there was no market at all for my skills, so gave up.

We'd got as far as applying for permanent residency and would have got in because we had enough points by a mile. Unfortunately, despite being on the sought after skills list, I couldn't find any work where we wanted to live, so we gave up and got our money back.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Why would you like to come to Canada???
        I am in Vancouver at the moment and I think it is pretty bad, low rates not many jobs. Toronto is bit better but there are 6 times more people. I am a DWH developer, ETL SQL Server whole BI Stack and on contract. You can get here on average 60$/hour, and if you have not worked in Canada before they will try to play you down and tell that you have not Canadian experience and you should work for even less. I think Canada is the last place that I would choose to come to work in IT if I had a choice again

Comment

Working...
        X