• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract amendment for a "typo"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract amendment for a "typo"

I signed a contract with a recruitment agency to provide consultancy to another company with an end date of 1st May 2015. I recently received an email from the recruitment company with a contract amendment. Apparently they had put in a typo and the end date should be 1st April 2015.

I'm not sure what to do with this and what repercussions arise from this should I sign or not sign the amendment. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Well they could just serve you notice so you end on that day anyway so not really going to make a difference if you accept it or fight it. I can't see you getting the extra month whatever you do tbh.

You could ask them for evidence it's a typo, something from the client stating it was actually April etc if you are hell bent on getting to the bottom of it but I would refer back to my previous comments in the end.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 11 February 2015, 16:42.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You either sign the corrected version or you don't.

You have the right not to sign the new contract, but don't be surprised if either (a) they terminate you now; or (b) when it gets to April 1st they say they have no more work for you and tell you to leave.

You're not going to get paid for that extra month, so you may as well sign the correction and hope for a further extension nearer the time.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Sign the contract without a fuss (or expect termination). You aren't in a position of leverage, and the agency may remember your not making a fuss (for what that's worth ). Of course, you could take a principled position, but it won't help you in practice, as there will be clauses to the effect of no work, no pay.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your comments. It makes sense to sign it to keep client/agency happy.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleplus View Post
            I signed a contract with a recruitment agency to provide consultancy to another company with an end date of 1st May 2015. I recently received an email from the recruitment company with a contract amendment. Apparently they had put in a typo and the end date should be 1st April 2015.

I'm not sure what to do with this and what repercussions arise from this should I sign or not sign the amendment. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
            I would just say that as I don't want to pay for a second contract review I will be keeping the current contract but will be working on the assumption that I will be leaving on April 1st so if they want me beyond that point its time to negotiate...

Personally I wouldn't trust an agency with dates in the contract as far as I could throw them. Most sensible companies delivery separate contracts and schedules so things can be changed without requiring a full contract review...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by doubleplus View Post

Thanks
              Your contract will likely have a clause about 'errors and exceptions' to cover such mistakes. For example, if you'd agreed a job at say £300 a day and the contract was issued at £3000 a day, do you think the agency is honour bound to pay you 3 grand and not 300?
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

What did you originally agree?

If you agreed verbally to May, then they gave you a contract for May then it's not a typo. As others have said it isn't worth disputing unless you already planned a follow on contract starting in May.in which case you could expect some compensation for the "typo".

If you had originally agreed April but then the written contract states May and they correct it back again, then it's a typo; as the agreement was April.

The contract is what is intended by both sides, if there's a typo such as the wrong rate or date or whatever it should just be corrected.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

As other have said, part of 'the deal' as a contractor is that you can be told to leave tomorrow if it suits the client, so I wouldn't get too worked up about this.
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Sounds like the end client were umming and Arrington and the agent wanted to get you started. You will probably end up getting extended anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X