• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Left - client requesting personal laptop audit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    I always have my company laptop to hand, whether it be on the corporate network or not. It has all the tools and applications I need to work, a modern copy of Office, my e-mails, copies of media I use often and so on. I'd have thought it'd be standard practice for any consultant.
    Personally I find it a chore carrying two laptops around if I'm supplied with one by the client. I can access my personal email on my phone and usually via webmail (depending on client firewall policy) and I would rarely need anything from my laptop during business hours while on-site.

I can understand people having theirs with them, and usually I take mine for the first few days while I'm getting set up with equipment by the client to make sure I have something to use if they do operate a BYOD policy, but actually so far I've always been supplied with equipment by the client - probably to eliminate situation's like the OP's!

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
      Personally I find it a chore carrying two laptops around if I'm supplied with one by the client. I can access my personal email on my phone and usually via webmail (depending on client firewall policy) and I would rarely need anything from my laptop during business hours while on-site.

I can understand people having theirs with them, and usually I take mine for the first few days while I'm getting set up with equipment by the client to make sure I have something to use if they do operate a BYOD policy, but actually so far I've always been supplied with equipment by the client - probably to eliminate situation's like the OP's!
      Oh, I never bother taking any client supplied ones anywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        There will be some department completely separate dealing with security, and you may well have agreed implicitly or explicitly to abide by their security policy.

I would just take it in and get it done, just so they can't chase you up afterwards.

I mean you're in the right but is it worth it. The security people at the client co might not give up on this one and give you an awful lot of hassle.

Some companies have become very agressive indeed when it comes to protecting their data. Banks for example who've had data distributed causing millions of pounds of damage.

It depends on the client but I wouldn't ignore it. The last client I worked for came down like a ton of bricks on anyone they suspected of taking data, just as a matter of policy.

I don't see the problem that agent can withhold payment but there may be other consequences of not following their security policy.
        Yeah, I totally agree here. Copy off your documents and personal stuff, secure wipe the free space, let them look at it. Don't give them a reason to withhold payment, however unfair/unreasonable it would be.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          Oh, I never bother taking any client supplied ones anywhere!
          I tend to take mine home with me purely as the current client have a fairly flexible approach to WFH so if something came up and I needed to work at home the next day, bit buggered without the laptop as can't VPN into their corporate network without a domain-enabled machine.

Agree it's a slight pain but luckily it's a nice compact Dell and doesn't actually weigh much, plus it's a 5 minute walk to the car

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
            Agree it's a slight pain but luckily it's a nice compact Dell and doesn't actually weigh much, plus it's a 5 minute walk to the car
            Carrying two for those five minutes hardly seems like a hassle.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X