• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Left - client requesting personal laptop audit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I'm loving the suggestion of installing Win3.1 on the laptop.

Client: Yeah, this isn't the same laptop as our logs show a win7 machine accessing the guest wifi. So we're going to keep a hold of this one until you supply the correct machine (as per contract?) and now we suspect foul play we'll be holding on to that last invoice until this is all squared.

Now what?
    Yep. People suggesting the win 3.1 install are just being ridiculous. One, this action will just inflame the situation and make the client dig their heels in. Second, why boll*cks a perfectly good laptop?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I would ask them if they want you to bring your pencil case in to see if you've stolen any pens from their stationery cupboard.

Then say you need some time to take all the stolen pens out and fill it with crayons.

Just as ridiculous.

Comment

I do find it odd a contractor has had to get signed off for stress citing client issues. The whole point I went contracting was to avoid this kind of bollocks. Yes home life can be a factor but the contract side gives the flexibility to dump the contract before it's too late. I don't advocate dumping contracts but if home life takes over it's part of life that can go to avoid being 'signed off'. Permies have to slog it through with no option but to get signed off. Not contractors.

Obviously we don't know the whole story and cash might be an issue so had no choice but to see it through to the last day but still, sounds very odd the way the poster put it.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I do find it odd a contractor has had to get signed off for stress citing client issues.
          Sometimes you don't think of yourself as stressed, though, until it's too late.

My doctor asked me at one stage if I was stressed, and I said no. I then described what I did and how things were going, and he stopped me halfway through and said "yeah, you're stressed and that explains why your blood pressure is so high".

Given that he was treating me for having had a stroke, I thought perhaps he was right.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I do find it odd a contractor has had to get signed off for stress citing client issues. The whole point I went contracting was to avoid this kind of bollocks. Yes home life can be a factor but the contract side gives the flexibility to dump the contract before it's too late. I don't advocate dumping contracts but if home life takes over it's part of life that can go to avoid being 'signed off'. Permies have to slog it through with no option but to get signed off. Not contractors.

Obviously we don't know the whole story and cash might be an issue so had no choice but to see it through to the last day but still, sounds very odd the way the poster put it.
            Agree with NLUK. Permies need sick notes/signed off etc.

Contractors just need to tell client they wont be in due to illness. End of.

If its affecting you mentally like this then do yourself a favour and get out of it. Some on this thread might think its funny but then when they grow up a little they might learn.

Like NLUK said, advantages of contracting....
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
              Have they never heard of copying onto another machine, USB drive, wherever.

How would access to one machine prove you don't still have a copy?

Even if it was tied to some piece of software you could clone the drive.
              LOL. Nobody is taking anybody's laptop. People in this country don't have the right to seize the property of others. Period. It sounds like one manager just being a bit silly, IMO. We are all silly from time to time. The right response is a very calm and polite refusal.

If the client company really does intend to get the laptop, let them go through the long, time consuming and expensive legal channels. Again, I assume there is nothing in the contract about the OP's laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
                Signed off with stress - lol

1st contractor in history to do this as its a made up permie thing
                Are you always a total div, or do you just like to pretend to be one? Yeah, stress is made up... Good one!

Comment

There will be some department completely separate dealing with security, and you may well have agreed implicitly or explicitly to abide by their security policy.

I would just take it in and get it done, just so they can't chase you up afterwards.

I mean you're in the right but is it worth it. The security people at the client co might not give up on this one and give you an awful lot of hassle.

Some companies have become very agressive indeed when it comes to protecting their data. Banks for example who've had data distributed causing millions of pounds of damage.

It depends on the client but I wouldn't ignore it. The last client I worked for came down like a ton of bricks on anyone they suspected of taking data, just as a matter of policy.

I don't see the problem that agent can withhold payment but there may be other consequences of not following their security policy.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 11 February 2015, 10:48.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Agree with NLUK. Permies need sick notes/signed off etc.

Contractors just need to tell client they wont be in due to illness. End of.

If its affecting you mentally like this then do yourself a favour and get out of it. Some on this thread might think its funny but then when they grow up a little they might learn.

Like NLUK said, advantages of contracting....
                    I think it's the disadvantage of contracting!

Permie gets diagnosed with stress by doc, gets signed off for 6 months on full pay, comes back to a less stressful role.

Contractor gets diagnosed with stress by doc, has to dump contract, can't interview due to stress, warchest dwindles adding to stress, big gap on CV, less interviews, less warchest, more stress.

That would be a fcking awful situation.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                      Are you always a total div, or do you just like to pretend to be one? Yeah, stress is made up... Good one!
                      Sorry, yes it exists for people with mental or emotional issues (I take it you have it bad) - from NHS website

Whole point of being a contractor is you can leave before it effects your life.

Client is probably thinking the OP has found another contract, left them in the lurch with no handover, and made up an excuse, no wonder they are suspicious of what he has on his PC as he has been caught already downloading client data, i would not worry if I was him about getting paid in this situation, I would be more worried about getting sued by client or my next reference

Comment

Working...
                      X