• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Forum Administration Review now out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 Forum Administration Review now out

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...min_Review.pdf

32 recommendations for HMRC to consider on how to make IR35 work better.

Enjoy!
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

All back over to the other place to see what they make of it. Smilies at the ready... Geronimoooooo!

Comment

The help line receives on average between 900 and 1200 calls per annum. During the year
      2012/2013 the number of queries received was 1192. For the year 2013/2014 the number
      of calls received by the helpline was 942.
      For the year ending 31/03/2013 HMRC received 80 contract review requests of which they
      were able to give an opinion on 12. For 2013/14, HMRC received 64 contract review
      requests of which they have been able to give an opinion on 16.
      That's like 4-5 calls/day and a contract review every 3 days. Wanna bet how many people are handling that massive volume of work...

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        That's like 4-5 calls/day and a contract review every 3 days. Wanna bet how many people are handling that massive volume of work...
        3. It said so in the report.

Bet they are contractors as well
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          When IR35 was first threatened and they promised to review contracts, my suggestion was that all contractors should request reviews for all contracts every week.

They said I was a troublemaker.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Enjoy!
            Unfortunately and behind the scenes, I suspect that HMRC long ago gave up on IR35 as a revenue generator. It remains and will remain forever as a deterrent. They will never repeal it and hence open the floodgates.

That is not to say that those of us who believe that we are real businesses should sit back and rest. They (HMG and HMRC) have our upstream pipeline firmly in their sights and have done for a long while. They will squeeze the life out of it so that few will do business with what they consider a PSC. It will happen.

It may be time to take 'Employment' Agents out of the equation. Given that by definition they are 'employment' agents, it is no wonder that we are seen by some to be disguised 'employees'. In any event aside from the initial intro, what do most offer other than invoice factoring that is probably more expensive than going to an invoice factor?

Comment

Enjoy!
              Scrap it (IR35)!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                Unfortunately and behind the scenes, I suspect that HMRC long ago gave up on IR35 as a revenue generator. It remains and will remain forever as a deterrent. They will never repeal it and hence open the floodgates.
                The way it makes money (I suspect) is in the number of people who are so scared of it that they voluntarily choose to use an umbrella company rather than a limited one.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The way it makes money (I suspect) is in the number of people who are so scared of it that they voluntarily choose to use an umbrella company rather than a limited one.
                  According to this* there are circa 200K people paid via brollys.

* I have no idea how valid that statistic is nor what the agenda of the site I got it from is. So it's basically just a number.

Anyone care to fag packet calc based on some equally vague averages to come up with a meaningless ballpark figure as to how much it makes them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    According to this* there are circa 200K people paid via brollys.

* I have no idea how valid that statistic is nor what the agenda of the site I got it from is. So it's basically just a number.

Anyone care to fag packet calc based on some equally vague averages to come up with a meaningless ballpark figure as to how much it makes them.
                    Well on 10k avg NI alone, it would be £2bn

Comment

Working...
                    X