• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to avoid phone calls for permanent jobs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could be the market for your skill set is falling out of favour in the contracting space and clients/employers are seeing it more as something they'd rather retain in-house?

If you are getting 25 calls in a day for permie roles, and your work history points to being a contractor, it could be a sign.

My experience is that permie employers (especially the ones near where I live) don't like contractors; the only time I get approached about permie roles is when it is close to home because the agents aren't going to waste their time otherwise.

Comment

His work experience doesn't point to contracting, that's his problem.

There are LOADS of newbie contractors who would jump at the chance of a permie job after bench time and/or an unhappy second contract.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Stay permie, seriously.

Enjoy your 25 days hols a year, spend it with friends. If you get bored do some company funded training to do something a bit more exciting. But, and I mean this with the best intentions DO NOT RESIGN AND GO CONTRACTING. Please! It's not for everyone and after reading your previous posts I think I can honestly say, it's not for you.

Comment

You could send all calls to voice mail. Just reply to the messages that are relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by LivingUpNorth View Post
            You could send all calls to voice mail. Just reply to the messages that are relevant.
            Hmmmm. Given the number of agents who either wont leave a message or take your call when you do return theirs, Im not certain that's a good idea.

But, that's just my opinion.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              Hmmmm. Given the number of agents who either wont leave a message or take your call when you do return theirs, Im not certain that's a good idea.

But, that's just my opinion.
              My experience is they all leave a message if they think you are a good fit for the role. Ditto for answering your calls.

If you're aren't a good fit then I agree with your comment.

Comment

Originally posted by ujjain View Post
                It is probably also partly my fault, but I had 25 voicemail messages Monday morning before 12:00 and unfortunately it was 75% for permanent work. It takes time and organization in order, so you don't waste any good leads. I sometimes get confused by so much information from so many recruiters simultaneously.
                You ought to be thankful you are getting 5 VM's in a morning about contractor roles IMO.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  You ought to be thankful you are getting 5 VM's in a morning about contractor roles IMO.
                  "You can't climb the ladder of success, with your hands in the pockets"
                  Arnold Schwarzenegger

Comment

Originally posted by No2politics View Post
                    Ty for that. I did ask my accountant but they are a little slow in responding for some reason
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LivingUpNorth View Post
                      My experience is they all leave a message if they think you are a good fit for the role. Ditto for answering your calls.

If you're aren't a good fit then I agree with your comment.
                      Hardly. If they dont think you're a good or reasonable fit (for the permie or contract role), 99% of them wouldnt waste their time phoning you in the first place. They'd be more productive phoning to ask for leads!

I can understand agents chancing their arm phoning contractors about permie roles. I cant see them phoning about a role your skillset doesnt match and therefore arent suitable for. Perhaps the odd idiot would do this from time to time but not regularly.
                      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                      X