• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Married couples pension arrangements

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Married couples pension arrangements

I have a reasonable pension, for various reasons my wife has none (other than state).

We're looking into setting up a pension for her.

Out of curiosity, has anyone looked into the pros and cons of just one spouse having a pension as opposed to both? I'm thinking about things like transfer value on death, passing on to children, (heaven forbid) separation etc.

My financial adviser said there would be very little in it, so we set up separate ones. Probably should have just had one big one in case she stops working for the company, but that's unlikely.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

if the new rules about taking as much as you want (subject to marginal tax rate) out of your pension come in (and stay in), then it would be better off to have 2 equal pension pots instead on one big one.

Comment

Originally posted by Wmnr View Post
        if the new rules about taking as much as you want (subject to marginal tax rate) out of your pension come in (and stay in), then it would be better off to have 2 equal pension pots instead on one big one.
        Yes, v. good point, thanks. So wife and I can draw down utilising both our tax fee allowances/lower rate bands as opposed to just mine.

Comment

Working...
        X