• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to get access to better roles/rates? (BA)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get access to better roles/rates? (BA)

Hi all,
    I am a IT BA contractor with over 10yrs of experience. Though I have programming background, my skills are fairly generic . I worked in areas like cards, retail banking, private banking and investment banking. My daily rate has become stagnant at £500. I'd like to improve my qualifications to get access to better roles and rates.

As a starting point, I'm working on BCS BA Diploma (2 modules done). I'm looking for advice from experienced financial services BAs on this forum. What skills/certifications/qualifications will help me get into £600+ league? My main problem now is that since my skills are generic, there is a LOT of competition for roles that suit my skills. Rates are coming down for generic BA skills.

Since I have recent experience in private banking, I'm considering taking up IMC exam. Would it help in any way? What about Exams like CFA/FRM or GARP certification like ICBRR?

Any relevant advice is gratefully received.

Why not have a look on jobserve and the like and check the requirements for BA roles paying what are after and do what you need to to meet them. I would take a guess qualifications aren't the main requirement.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bluedrop View Post
      Hi all,
      I am a IT BA contractor with over 10yrs of experience. Though I have programming background, my skills are fairly generic . I worked in areas like cards, retail banking, private banking and investment banking. My daily rate has become stagnant at £500. I'd like to improve my qualifications to get access to better roles and rates.

As a starting point, I'm working on BCS BA Diploma (2 modules done). I'm looking for advice from experienced financial services BAs on this forum. What skills/certifications/qualifications will help me get into £600+ league? My main problem now is that since my skills are generic, there is a LOT of competition for roles that suit my skills. Rates are coming down for generic BA skills.

Since I have recent experience in private banking, I'm considering taking up IMC exam. Would it help in any way? What about Exams like CFA/FRM or GARP certification like ICBRR?

Any relevant advice is gratefully received.
      If you have 10+ years experience certs are not gonna make a difference, you have said it yourself "my skills are generic", which means you are competing with everyone and they can always find someone cheaper, even if that means a reduction in quality from what you can offer.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

£500 a day isn't a shoddy rate even in London for a BA, I doubt there are many roles at above that rate that don't call for fairly niche experience and skills.
        Qualifications are a foot in the door, part of a box ticking exercise which help you get into the consider seriously rather than instant bin pile.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          £500 a day isn't a shoddy rate even in London for a BA, I doubt there are many roles at above that rate that don't call for fairly niche experience and skills.
          Qualifications are a foot in the door, part of a box ticking exercise which help you get into the consider seriously rather than instant bin pile.
          I agree. £500 for a BA sounds quite good (not that it is my field).

Nothing wrong with a bit of ambition though.

Comment

£500 a day is what my current contract pays. When I look up on jobserve, similar roles now pay around £450. Rates have been coming down.

Comment

Only thing I would suggest is fill your CV with the clients you've done stuff for (as a permanent or contractor) and the types of systems/apps you've worked on - so as to come up in more searches.

Other than that, up your rate with a straight face and see who bites - he who dares, wins!
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

£500 does sound quite good for BA work.

Maybe you have to move into project management or other types of management, together with your banking skills to get up the rate ladder?

Comment

Generic skills will give you generic rates.

Specialized skills will give you special rates.

I have a niche skill and can achieve good rates for now, though my problem is that this is a dying product and I probably only have a few months' work left before I need to find something new to do

Comment

Working...
                  X