• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benefiting from Client purchasing power

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benefiting from Client purchasing power

Could do with shiny new laptop.

ClientB have some sort of partnership deal with Dell which means they get a good discount, and have offered to procure a laptop for me.

Is there anything dodgy about Client purchasing a laptop for myCo, then myCo knocking the value off the next invoice?

In addition to their discount, it would mean I also would benefit from the VAT saving (I'm on FRS)

<ducks and runs for cover />

Edit: Was meant to be in Accounting. Hey ho.

Ah, good point - I had imagined that the value I would knock off the invoice would be ex-vat, but yes, it seems more logical that it would need to include VAT. Probably not worth the hassle. I doubt getting invoiced direct would be a goer.

Comment

How much is the discount?

What warranty and is it transferable?

Are you sure a similar deal isn't available shopping around or direct?

Have you considered a ex-corp refurb laptop?

Comment

If this was me, I wouldnt even consider buying anything through the end client, even if I could invoice directly. But that's because I was IR35 risk averse and wouldnt give them the slightest assistance to help them say Im caught.

Yes, I know it may only be a weak pointer (or might not even be one) but for the sake of a discount, I just wouldnt entertain it.

Each to their own though.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I do a few days work here and there for this client - no way that it's IR35 caught. But sounds like the whole thing is more trouble than it's worth - it was their suggestion when they were dissing my crappy old laptop.

Comment

IR35 aside (I don't think its an issue), they would need to effectively buy and sell the laptop to you. They would need to issue you an invoice and presumably charge you VAT which cancels out the VAT saving. But you still get the benefit of the discounted price. Do make sure any warranty is transferable to YourCo though.

You would might get away with them buying the laptop for you personally in return for a discount on your next invoice (net price is assume as they can reclaim the VAT themselves) but not sure why the client would be happy to see an asset on their books disappear without a paper trail, so I'd stick with the legit route.
            Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 2 January 2015, 19:32.

Comment

to quote my brother "why buy a fast laptop when
              you get paid by the hour"

Comment

Working...
              X