• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a flat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    To clarify:

My flat budget is 400k. I have 20k in personal savings. My business account has 80k. I need a deposit of 40k + 10k stamp duty. I can use the 20k savings as part of the deposit but I need to take the other 20 out of my business. I'll have to take a 25% tax hit if I do that. I have approximately 18k in corporation tax due.
    You need to work your budget a hell of a lot better than this. You have completely missed where the 10k stamp duty has come from and won't you need to take more than 20k from the business to cover the tax hit and have the money you need? Where are your purchasing and legal costs and budget for furnishings etc

Taking the money you need plus CT you will be needing around 60k from your business leaving only 20K war chest. Not somewhere I would be going that's for sure.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      You need to work your budget a hell of a lot better than this. You have completely missed where the 10k stamp duty has come from and won't you need to take more than 20k from the business to cover the tax hit and have the money you need? Where are your purchasing and legal costs and budget for furnishings etc

Taking the money you need plus CT you will be needing around 60k from your business leaving only 20K war chest. Not somewhere I would be going that's for sure.
      I am not planning on buying right now. I am taking stock of my income after year end to see when I could buy, if my income stays the same.

I was hoping to buy in the Summer time but I'm not in any hurry. I'm not willing to leave myself short just to buy.

Comment

I am not planning on buying right now. I am taking stock of my income after year end to see when I could buy, if my income stays the same.

I was hoping to buy in the Summer time but I'm not in any hurry. I'm not willing to leave myself short just to buy.
        You def should NOT be in a hurry with this kind of cursory number crunching. Also, if you're ever thinking of renting the place out (say you leave London), with this kind of deposit it is highly unlikely you will make back the full mortgage repayments through rental money. IMO you need a higher deposit to buy comfortably.

Comment

I'd looked at buying in London repeatedly as I regularly spend 100+/night in a hotel or 1000+/pcm for renting.
          Unfortunately, buying in London, does not seem to be a more profitable option, even in a very, very long view.
          There's only two options I had looked at - getting a studio, equivalent to what I am renting, in that, to be more profitable than renting, the mortgage+taxes+insurance+maintenance etc should be less than a monthly rent. When I did my calculation this had sent the mortgage into 50 years+, is some cases beyond the time the leasehold was for.
          The other option was getting a larger flat and renting out the other rooms.
          Unfortunately, even on my daily rate, I wasn't able to afford that option.
          It was better than getting a studio, and a larger place is more useful in the long run, but still, it wouldn't be profitable for many, many years. The only thing that would have felt nice about that, would be slowly acquiring a physical thing that is likely to be worth upwards of 1m in a few years time.
          Still, overall, for what I've seen, especially in the very central London area that I was looking at, the market situation is such that many people are renting out places that they have bought at much lower prices. Lower rents already allow them to pay off the mortgage easily so they don't put as much pressure to raise the rents.
          On a final note, from what I've seen, getting a single flat with a freehold in London is a rarity and when there is one, it commands such a premium, that it is again arguable whether it is a profitable option (it probably is, just in a timescale that is way beyond useful). For mere mortals, this probably means getting a leasehold (unless it's a new development) and you should really look into what state you property will at the end of your projected mortgage - most likely a 80 year old dilapidated building, whose leasehold is about to expire.

All of the above has contributed to the fact that I am still not a part of London property ladders. I very much wish I were, but I'm just not there yet, financially.
          With what you posted here, I don't think you should be, either. All it takes is short break between the contract and you go under.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
            IMO you need a higher deposit to buy comfortably.
            How much higher?

Comment

How much higher?
              I don't necessarily agree with that part - the deposit only needs to be high enough to take you to the best or good enough mortgage deals - I saw some advertised at 1.99%, but needed a 25%+ deposit - not really that practical in London is it?

Especially with an Ltd income, it's usually more profitable to leave the funds in Ltd as a cushion and only withdraw if you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
                For mere mortals, this probably means getting a leasehold (unless it's a new development) and you should really look into what state you property will at the end of your projected mortgage - most likely a 80 year old dilapidated building, whose leasehold is about to expire..
                This is where and why you need to do your research into how you own property in England.

The mortgage company and the freeholder will not allow the building to become dilapidated as it's their investment as well not just yours.

Also as a freeholder of a flat you normally are a leaseholder of the flat but as the flat owner are a director of the company that owns the freehold of the building. This is because in England it's extreme rare to have flats with separate freeholds as mortgage companies require someone to maintain the common parts of the building. This means all decisions on the building are made by freehold company.

In both cases you pay yearly towards the insurance, maintenance and repairs on the building. If works need to be done i.e. a new roof then how it's paid for and your proportion of the cost is stipulated in your lease.

In regards to lease length before a lease gets to 80 years you are advised to extend it. After 80 years the cost of extending the lease becomes very expensive. You have to pay for this extension but it can increase the value of the flat by at least the cost of the extension.

There are issues with disputes in flats with freeholders whether the freehold is an external company, or a company of flat owners in the building so the easiest thing is to buy a freehold house. Even then there are issues with restrictive covenants and you can end up in a preservation area....
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

How much higher?
                  Well it depends on the type of property etc., but generally (and this is very general), around 25%. This should cover mortgage repayments, which will be high given a low deposit, and incidentals, maintenance etc. You really need to do your homework on this though.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
                    I don't necessarily agree with that part - the deposit only needs to be high enough to take you to the best or good enough mortgage deals - I saw some advertised at 1.99%, but needed a 25%+ deposit - not really that practical in London is it?

Especially with an Ltd income, it's usually more profitable to leave the funds in Ltd as a cushion and only withdraw if you need to.
                    Given it's a 10% deposit, he isn't going to get a very good rate is he. This coupled with the fact he will most likely want to let the property out at some point possibly in the near future, and cover both mortgage repayments and maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
                      Well it depends on the type of property etc., but generally (and this is very general), around 25%. This should cover mortgage repayments, which will be high given a low deposit, and incidentals, maintenance etc. You really need to do your homework on this though.
                      Are you saying anyone wanting to buy a 400k flat in London should ideally raise a deposit of 100k? Or am I reading this wrong?

Comment

Working...
                      X